Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb leaking fuel, Rebuild / Replace?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

I got a carb fuel leak, I dont think its fixable. Its leaking at the Fuel inlet, not the fuel fitting, or fuel line...maybe a crack?!? Is it fixable? I need to rebuild the carb, or replace it, and im thinking of replacing it with a new carb, but am not sure which one too get. Id like some extra HP...... My motor is stock. I need it to bolt on and hook up as if it where factory. No "modding" :grin: . It is a 1984 K10 Scottsdale with a 305, and a 4 chamber carb. Please give me recommendations, and also a good place to purchase with good prices! :thumb: Thanks for the continued help guys!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. CkYblaZeRBoY

CkYblaZeRBoY Registered Member

if you dont think its fixable it probably isn't. Also is you can afford a new carb id go ahead you would probably get more power from an aftermaket carb and everyone likes power:grin:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

it might be rebuildable--

You could put a rebuild kit in it,but sometimes the throttle shaft bushings are loose,its a chore to find and install them--you would be wise to seal up the leaky well plugs on the underside of the base while its off,they often leak the fuel from the bowl into the manifold because of the plugs leaking...

You might be better off looking for a good used carb at the junkyard,or get an edelbrock Q-jet replacement carb(I think they arent going to make them anymore,so you'd better hurry!)--Jegs and Summit have decent prices on them.(about 300 bucks)
    I priced a new one from AC-Delco,it listed for over 600 bucks for an 85 305!:eek:

4. socal chevy

I was offered 225.00 for a rebuild.... or 225.00 for a replacement (used) rebuilt carb..... 300 seems like the better chose, a new carb.... What do you think?... what was the other site?... Summitracing, and ???:confused: ALSO. I searched summitracing.com...and im very lost. Can someone direct me to which carb will fit my application??? T.Y.

5. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

the quadrajet is one of the best offroad carbs out there, if they are in good shape. I would suggest an edelbrock q-jet (P/N 1904 for the 795 cfm) i have one of these on my firebird and on my 58 chevy hybrid both work great. About $450 though.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sometimes they srtip when people get overzealous tightening the fuel inlet after replacing the filter . There is a thread repair fuel inlet fitting available that will cut its own threads upon installation . I can't remember the part number , but most auto parts stores should have one :k5: :k5:

7. socal chevy

a little pricey, any other suggestions?

8. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

q-jets are a lil pricey, if i remember i will look at the p/n on one that a friend ptu on his truck, he only gave $150 for it new

9. socal chevy

Im Looking For One In The 250 Range. Not Too Cheap, But Not To Expensive... You Know?

10. socal chevy

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd suggest this option.

12. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

When replacing with new carb is there any air/fuel lean/rich jet tuning required for the new carb or is it a bolt on out of the box and go?

I think you also have a choice of models with manual or elect choke. Not sure which is prefferable.

Dave

13. Mike's '84

Mike's '84 Registered Member

I just paid $230 for a "new" one from FC Products out of Chicago. So far so good. I had to rob one of the nozzles from my old one though...the new one didn't have but one for the secondaries. That was kind of tricky, getting it in straight, all the while know what will happen if it shoulf fall out and end up on top of a piston or worse yet under a valve seat. But I had to push it in with enough force I think to be tight ((please)).

I have an electric choke and I didn't have to adjust anything. Just slapped it on. Noticed a big difference in smothness of acceleration. I talked the origional owner and found out that he never did anything to it in 17 years. So it was due.

Do a search for Rochester carburetors and it will take you to National Carburetor. Sure beats paying what the parts house will charge you. I saved over $400.00.

14. pauly383

You can get close by telling the carb shop what your running for your engine combo before they ship it . However , all carbs need some tuning after you bolt it on :k5: :k5:

15. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

After bolt on of new carb, is tuning necessary for the average non-performance driven owner?

How is carb tuning done? By reading plugs and changing jets, twisting screws, or ??????

If tuning is required, is this something the average guy can do and get it right or does he need to take it to a shop and have them do it?

Dave

16. pauly383

If your not really into the whole nine yards of tuning , just order your carb , adjust the idle mixture and speed , the timing and go :k5: :k5:

17. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

Check out I-5 online

I-5 has a nice qject 750cfm for under $300.

18. pauly383

Thats what I have Clicky
    However if its just a stripped inlet , it can be fixed :k5: :k5:

[​IMG]