Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb on hills?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Apr 17, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have an Eldlbrock, and it stalls on steep angles, my friends carb does not stall on the same angles. My question is what can I do to make mine better on the hills?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had some problems with my edelbrock. solved 98% of them with the spring loaded neddles and seats kit.

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

what does that kit do? and thanks for the reply

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the neddles float hang on the flots and can at severe angles and or bounching stay open and flood out the motor. the spring loaded will be much harder to get to float open under those conditions. the kit is easy and cheep. this is just my opinon and others will click in soon. so best to see what others say as thay run these to.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm running the same kit and it definitely helps. It might not be as good as some other carbs, but it works up to plenty steep angles for me. I have had it start to flood with the kit, it helps, but does not totally eliminate it.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, my edelbrock would stall on steep angles and technical obstacles. This was very dangerous since my steering and brakes were greatly diminished. I opted to trade my edelbrock with a local guy in Vegas for a quadrajet. I rebuilt it threw it on and tuned it in. Since then I have never stalled it, no matter what the angle. The Edelbrock was definetly an easier to tune/maintain carb, but the benefits of the quadrajet have been well worth the trade.

I would recommend swapping in a Q-jet. Most will agree they are the best only second to the Holley Off Road carb for wheeling.

Just my .02 :)

Jeff

7. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

holley all the way.

sell it... buy a truck avenger.

8. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

tell me more about this truck avenger, I've hered this advise a couple time now. how does it compair to the q-jet? mine dies on technical obstacles, thats the worst part. I would go tbi but it sounds like a can of worms. I just finnished an 5 year build of a jeep and I dont realy want another build up.

9. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Read this

If you are on a tight budget I would recommend just getting a q-jet from a junk yard and rebuild it. It would be a lot cheaper and would give you similar results.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

take it off, put a QJet on the engine, and leave the Eddy in the back of the truck. use it as a wheel chock if the truck ever dies with a QJet on it.