Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb or Distributor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevit, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

This has really buggin me, lately I will be driven along put my foot into the throttle and my blazer just stumbles along and somtmes it will pop up thru the carb. This dosn't happen all the time but often, after the rig is warmed up. The timing is right on, but I have had problems with the choke. Any ideas??

84 K5
    Q Jet

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mine does the same thing, except mine pops out the exhaust and not out the carb. I was told to check the intake gasket and carb base gasket for leaks. With the engine all warmed up, spray starter fluid at the gaskets, if the rpm's go up, you gotta leak. I still need to do this myself, just haven't had time /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

My K5 did that when I was trying to start it, and I ended up putting it a new coil and spark plug wires. It works great now with nothing coming out of the carb.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My Crew Cab has recently started doing something similar. When it's warmed up and I'm driving, if I get my foot into it or start pulling a grade on the highway, it will backfire through the carb. I'm worried about it being a cam lobe starting to go flat.

I just took the Q-jet off and put an Edelbrock on it a couple hours ago... have yet to go and drive it to see if it's changed or not. If not, Im changing cap, rotor and coil while I'm at it, and plugs/wires.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is the EST system all still connected and working ?

might even module messing up, id try another one, heat maybe getting to it

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    This dosn't happen all the time but often, after the rig is warmed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds an awful lot like wires. Swap 'em out, and while you're at it, replace the cap and rotor just in case.

7. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I am leaning toward the coil, the cap, rotor, wires, are not that old. My bro-in-law suggested that I put some white grease on the weights in the distributor which I did to prevent the from sticking which did not help. I think I will pull the spark plugs to see if they are soaked in gas, that would tell me if the coil is bad...

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My carb swap worked on mine... for about 5 minutes, then it started running bad again when it got heated up. Re-timed it, replaced the coil, still runs the same. So I decided to replace the plugs (which I soon realized I had replaced about 3 years ago... oops) and most of the wire boots were so hard/brittle that they broke. But its still not running right.

Think your problem (and possibly mine) could be the ignition module? (like R72K5 pointed out) Thats the last thing I have left to replace.