Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb or fuel injection.....opinions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 21, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal, there might be a 383 Stroker coming up for sale soon and I was wondering what I should do. I have an '88 K5 with the TBI and the engine is in an '86 K5 and it has a carb on it. Honestly, I would love to stick with the TBI, but everyone tells me to keep the engine carbuerated. What's your opinions on this?

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Man, you're killing me with that Kelly's hero's stuff! I'm going to rent for sure now!

EFI did I say that loud enough? EFI!!!!!

you can make a carb do a lot of things, but it won't run as smooth as a carb in nasty off camber/steep hill situations. Just the way it is.
    And you've got the process beat, it's already installed, you just need an adapter and a chip and you'll be ready to go.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I am agreeing with the injection engine. You can get better milage and performance out of a TBI/TPI. As with any engine you have to tune it. You can get gobbbss of HP and tq. out of a carb. Are you going to use it everday? Is your rig ever going to take it? Thats up to you. Your fuel bill is going to go up regardless, you can control it with a TBI/TPI to an extent. Either way your going to get more mpg with a TBI/TPIYou can run up to 325 hp and 292lb.ft. tq with a TBI/TPI that is set up correctly and you come out better on fuel then a carb. And its consistant, no tuning you carb. for every altitude or winter. Plus passing a smog test is easier. There is a guy here who runs a 406 TPI that supposedly does a sub-number/no number hydrocarbon on the sniffer test. And if you worry about getting the electronics wet get a marine elec. dry box to protect your gear. If you constantly deep 6 your rig then there is no hope for you anyway. As far as cash goes. You will spend the same amount of money combined in the first year for either engine. Just my $0.02. No flame intended.

[​IMG]

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hey fr8train, I LOVE that Kartman.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm gonna have to weigh in on either whats on it now, TBI or TPI. TBI is at best, marginally better than a well tuned carburetor. It has been proven numerous times. TBI has the same inherent problems carbs do, which is long paths the fuel/air mix must take, which includes runner bends, etc. So changing to a carb, would be at worst, status quo, at best, a little better.

TPI is far superior to TBI or carbs, and it will likely always be that way. A complete TPI unit off of a small block camaro, vette, etc, will not run you much (relatively) and you can have the "brain" reprogrammed by all the performance places out there, of which there are millions. If you wanted teh ultimate, thats the way you would go. If not, stick with the TBI. Since I don't know how easy it is to "tune" the TBI to a larger/more radical motor, I won't comment on how feasible it is to run TBI on yours, with a stock "brain" (prom?) No one (ok thats a little broad, but still) that does a carb to injected swap on a car uses TBI...TBI was a cheap stop gap between carbs and TPI.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Isn't TBI or a smog compliant carb more likely to have mechanical problems due to all the sensors than just a carburator? Does anyone know a good source on how to test al that smog, TBI and sensors equipment. Make sure it's running right. My 88 Blazer, stock, seems a little gutless. Thanks

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Here's how I see it:

Carb - definately cheaper, but it will take some tuning to get it really running right (strong, smooth, and stingy) IF you choose your carb right.

TBI - could be done, but performance parts are more limited. Will run in any attitude (off road). I think you need to talk to a shop that specializes in TBI performance products (manifolds, chips, etc) like Turbo City. You might want to ditch the stock ECM for something after market. The fully adjustable or programable Holley Pro-Jection is a Throttle Body Injection.

TPI - Better performance still, part perfomance parts can be expensive (manifold $300-1000.). A stock TPI manifold was designed for a 305ci engine so they are rather top end restrictive (but would be a real stump puller up 4000 rpm). You'll still need an specific PROM to get maximum performance from the combination of 383 & Blazer 4X4 (or a programable ECM).

Guess it all depends an how much money you've got plus how much time and effort you want to put it into it.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'd push for the fuel injection. Easy example--If you go outside on a cold morning and listen to people starting their cars you can tell which ones have fuel injection and which ones have the carbs without even opening the hood; the cars with carbs just tend to take longer to start. You also don't need to worry about flooding out the engine on real steep climbs. Really stinks to flood an engine and lose your power steering and brakes, a whole lot of things run through your mind as gravity takes over.

Smitty

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, I'm the guy running the 406TPI in my K5. So guess where I vote on this issue??????????? FUEL INJECTION.

Had my original Qjet on this Blazer up to a year ago.........it was pro-built and on top of an Edelbrock Performer, that combo ran very well. But then............found a guy with a very good price on putting TPI on my truck. He did the conversion with the same motor as had the Qjet. Did only a fair job on the install but the seat of the pants improvement was very noticeable. Then a rod knock developed, so it was time to sh$t or get off the pot. Decided to build the 406 into a beast. There is NO comparison with this motor combo to the Qjet. Flat out runs like a bat out of hell, got 15 mpg last tank (was driving it mellow to check out how good I could get) and the driveability is incredibly better.

Better yet, it puts out an estimated (not going to get into a dyno slip flame here!) 400 HP and who knows how much torque. Has upgraded flow matched 24 lb injectors and a custom chip burnt just for this motor combo............with a 288 cam. Plus it looks awesome when you pop the hood..........see pics below.

If you are still stuck between a TBI and a carb, go injection. Only thing better than being blown is being injected.........

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Frank who was your enigne builder and how can I ship him a 426?

[​IMG]

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jon he is protecting me from flames.

[​IMG]

12. BlzrProne17

BlzrProne17 Registered Member

Well, I personally think if you have the fuel injection then stick with that. It always starts and it'll stay runnin' when your on a hill or in the soup gettin' sloshed around. As far as the 383? You can't ever get enough ponies!
    Matt

[​IMG] Call me a converted Bronco owner!! [​IMG]

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

He is a local guy that ran a racing business (circle track) here in Oregon (Portland) that does this on the side now. Out of the racing business, too costly to make any money at it.........

Doubt if you want to send it from NC to Oregon............his personal ride is a 76 Jaguar XJ coupe with a 434 cu inch mouse with TPI...........and he flat out scared me to death (tho I was smiling from ear to ear) when he gave me a ride in it. I used to think my 71 SS402 Camaro was fast...........after that ride, I now know what fast is.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>