Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb or Injected

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drofdar, Jun 16, 2005.

1. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Hi all, I am new to the site, glad to be here, and thanks to all in advance. My current project is a 1980 K20 with Quadrajet on top of 350. While I have built up various types of vehicles, I have never dealt with Injected motors. I am considering a crate 383, or 350 injected motor from GM. The hype states an easy swap to injected with computer and all. I do run my trucks in Baja, and hence get less than pristine gas down there. So, my question: Honestly, how far over my head can I get with upgrading to injected? Is the upgrade worth it as far as performance ect? Or would the roller cam 383 w/Quadrajet (old style) be a better choice in this older rig? And, I welcome all advice regarding crate motor vendors!

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I personally like injected vehicles. I think they run smoother and have fewer driveability quirks. While I like the factory multi port injection setups, I have never tried an aftermarket setup. My personal opinion would be to swap in a Throttle Body injection unit. They are simple and hence very reliable. They have the least amount of sensors, and a spare throttle body with all of it's sensors and injectors can be carried and changed out easily and little time, and only takes up a little amount of room in a parts box. While Throttle body injection units do not give you maximum horsepower like a multi port setup, I feel that the reliability and simplicity make up any power losses tenfold. I'm sure alot of people disagree with me on this, but it is just MY opinion.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I also prefer fuel injected, as carbs become less in tune as I go the mountains. But for a small additional cost (maybe not so small ~ $500-1000+) of a TBI setup, you can use the multiport and have all the advantages of a more precise system. Check the vendor board here, there is a shop that gives CK5 members a great deal, and can custom build to meet anyone's needs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you might as well spend the few extra bucks to fuel inject it. You will be very pleased with the performance and reliability