Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Nov 18, 2004.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey All,

Engine question here:
    When I first get the truck running, and after it has warmed up, I put it in gear and almost immeadiatly it dies. The idle is set at 850-900 rpm. The air cleaner is clean. The carb is only 2 1/2 years old. Also when I do get it in drive, if I just barely touch the gas pedal it will die out again. I usually have to press the pedal about 1/4 of the way down to keep it from dying. This tends to fix itself for the most part after it is running for awhile.

Choke problem? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help guys, it's always appreciated.

--Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Was it working fine until recently ? Did you remove it to do anything else ? Before you get into the carb itself , check for bad hoses , vacuum leaks , make sure EGR valve isn't stuck and the hose is to the right port . If there are no vacuum leaks etc , then its time to set the timing , idle mixture , and start all over from a fresh starting point . The thing should be able to idle down to 550-600 rpm in gear and never stall when its running right . Maybe some dirt got in it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. nau81blazer

Thanks for the post:

I will try to check those things this weekend. That carb is a funny thing...It's pretty inconsistant, eldelbrock performer....Sometimes after I get it running it will randomly idle at like 500rpm then the next time I start it, it will be back at 900rpm. Anyway, i will check for leaks of any sort. Also, how do you go about checking the egr valve? Thanks,

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

THAT sounds more like a timing problem too me. I would make sure the timing is set right, then pull the cap off the distributor and the rotor out and inspect/clean the weights. If they are sticking, it will cause the inconsistant idle you are talking about.

5. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

To add to Bill's post, check the things he said..and you may have hit in your last post as well..."check for leaks"...if it's bouncing around RPM's at idle, you may have one...did you mount this carb to ur stock intake and used an adapter??? i had a hell of a time getting a good seal on mine...had to get better gaskets than those that came w/ the adapter...

6. nau81blazer

Yes, the carb did need an adapter to put it on. I was gonna go out today and work on the truck but it's snowy and cold and I don't have a garage...mabye tomorrow. I will try to make sure that all of those bolts are tight around the adapter and the carb. Thanks for all the comments guys.