Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwinnd, Nov 20, 2001.

1. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I have a 76 blazer stock 350 except for an RV cam and edelbrock intake manifold. I believe it is the origonal q-jet and has never been worked on. It has a new fuel filter, and complete tune up last September, and it runs just fine after it starts. The problem is trying to start it after it has been run and been sitting for 45 minutes or more. It just wants to flood so I have to hold the gas pedal down to get it to start. It starts fine in the morning when its cold or if its hot and been sitting for 1/2 hr or less. I'm carburator ignorant[​IMG] so any help would be appreciated.
    TIA,
    Dave

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

2. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

I would suggest rebuilding the carb also check the choke make sure it is opening up all the way when its warmed up. check the linkage and see if it is hanging up on something. also the float inside might be bent or the needle jet for the fuel flow hooked on the float might be bad.

<font color=blue>whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon?-- ford</font color=blue> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/slider79blazer>http://community.webshots.com/user/slider79blazer</a>

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

many of those carburetors had problems with leaking fuel into the intake. there are plugs in the base of the carb that over time leak the gas out of the fuel bowl into the manifold. if it sits long enough the leaked gas could evaporate and then it would start normally. run the engine, then remove the carburetor within the time period that it's hard to start, see if the base of the carb/intake plenum show signs of a leak.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy a Holley.

5. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Yup, buy a Holley.............

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Holley's are great! (as a wheel chock[​IMG]) Stick with the Q-jet...even if you have to rebuild the one you have. At least the Q-jet will keep running at wierd angles.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

95 silverado sounds like he nailed it to me.

Q-jet fuel plugs leaking into the manifold. Pretty common problem. Just rebuild the carb and epoxy the plugs. It's not a tuff job. I'd also check the main throttle shaft for wear (does it wobble in the bore) They have bushing kits that can be instlled if the shaft/carb is worn. Not a bad idea to do both during a rebuild.

<font color=blue>Twiz

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Step 1. Buy a Holley.
    Step 2. Buy &amp; install the holley offroad kit.
    Step 3. Adjust float level 1/4" below sight plugs before
    wheelin'.