Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Apr 11, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

I got an 84 K-5 with a 4 barrel carb, stock. The choke light under the speedometer always comes on, and sometimes when i come to a stop and the truck is idling it just cuts out on me.This has happened a couple times in the middle of busy intersections, and is pretty scary. I just got a tune up today, so maybe its the carb. Thanks for the much needed help.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The little light is telling you what your problem is...choke! My guess is that the sender to tell your choke to back off is goofed and your motor is getting choked when is warmed up. Stick a continuity tester in the wire going to your choke (big round thingy on the passenger side of the carb), then flip on your key, it should light or not. I can't remember if when it gets juice it pulls it off, or vice versa, somebody else here should correct me. The brains for it are just above the oil filter in this little sender. It should have three wires going down to it. This unit senses oil pressure and tells your choke when you are running. My guess would be that is goofed up and is telling your choke to kick and making you stall.