Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Jimmy, Jun 27, 2003.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I 've got a drivability problem with my '85. 350, truck avenger carb, edelbrock performer intake, MSD dist. & ignition box. Carb was new Feb 03. It's been running great. I ran out of gas today,(while next in line at the pump.) Pushed the truck up and filled up. It started slow, as you'ld expect. But would not idle. I had to start it while holding the throttle about 3/4 open. Acted flooded. It was running very poorly and I wasn't far from home so I got a ride and went back 3 or 4 hours later. The truck was cold by then and would idle, but not good. By the time I got home,( about 5 minutes), it would stall at idle and blew black exhaust, (choke smoke), at 3000 rpm. Would not run under 2500-3000. I tapped the carb, thinking a stuck float. No difference. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
    John

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

sounds like trash got sucked into the carb. get a gasket set and pull the bowls, clean it out throughly and be sure to put a good filter on the fuel line..

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got an stock chevy efi filter inline, but I'm willing to try anything. Is the cleaning just in the float bowls or also metering plates ? I don't know much about carbs.
    John

4. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Checked further this morning. When I crank the engine gas pours out of the vent tube. Float stuck? Thanks.
    John

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

You are correct sir. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif