Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb Q-jet or performer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rich84, Aug 24, 2000.

1. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

I know this has been on here a thousand times, but I just wanted some input before I spend the cash. My 84 350's holley is due for replacement. What are the pros and cons of the edelbrock series. Also, I know it's a street carb, but is anyone using the inexpensive version demon has ( I forget the name)?

Also, does anybody out there know how to get a broken pinion shaft bolt out of the carrier on a ten-bolt without trashing the carrier as I've already come close to doing?

2. I think its called the street demon,my budy runs demons on his drag car.I had asked him the same guestion,his reply was that they still had a few bugs in them and that I would be better off with a Q-jet.Besides they are alot beter off
    road than any other carb,I mean they work beter off camber
    and on steep grades.
    As for the dif,you mite as well replace the carrier.Get a aburn or some thing.
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I was in that dilemma too. I ended up buying an Edelbrock Q-jet #1902. I also bought Doug Roe's book on Q-jets. I'm very happy. Now I can tweak almost anything on the q-jet, and have no problems whatsoever. Well, maybe the only fuel problem I'm still having is the fuel price [​IMG]LOL

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. truyoopr

truyoopr Registered Member

I would go with the q-jet. My friend had a edelbrok and everytime we would go climb san dunes he would spit and stutter. I had mine q-jet rebuild about 3 years ago and never had to do any work or adjusting of it. the carb has been on three different motors.

Come and Get Some

5. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'll be going with a Q-jet.

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Try a left handed drill bit and/or an easy-out on that bolt.

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Rich, I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. I tried drilling the bolt but went on a slight angle and 2 threads were still left. I purchased a new pinion shaft and noticed that where the bolt goes through, the thickness of the metal is thin enough to drill through. So I proceded to drill holes along the bolt area and used a dremel tool with a fibreglass disc to cut a channel to get the piece of bolt off. After carefully drilling and cutting, I used a punch to chisel out any remaining small metal bits I couldn't drill or cut and this gave me enough space to pry out the broken bolt. After this installing the new shaft and bolt was a piece of cake. Good luck.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]