Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb q's?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

carb q\'s?!

Hey everyone, i have a q-jet and a rebuild kit that was givin to me, i'm pretty sure it's the right kit, but i can't find the numbers on the carb to make sure. Where are they?

Next q. Do you know of any good online ref's for rebuilding my q-jet. I have the manual, but it just tells me the adjustments. This is my first rebuild so i need something better.

Thanks.

Ryan

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Re: carb q\'s?!

Rebuliding Q-jets often leads to no improvements, they work great for 50-500 miles then are right back to how they used to be. Why do you think you need to rebuild yours?

3. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

because i have the kit and the time, and i know that the truck it came off of never ever ran right so i thought i would give it a shot.

Ryan

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well if it runs ok on your truck i wouldnt bother..

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but i can't find the numbers on the carb to make sure. Where are they?
    Next q. Do you know of any good online ref's for rebuilding my q-jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will find the numbers on the drivers side just above the secondary shaft.

[​IMG]

CK5 member <font color="orange"> dyeager535 </font> has a great website with lots of Quadrajet stuff .

Here are a few more places to look:

Quadrajet Tips
    Performance Tune your Secondaries part 1
    Performance Tune your Secondaries part 2
    Quadrajet idle problems

If you want to get the best book ever written about Quadrajets, got pick up Doug Roe's book : Rochester Carburetors. You can find it at almost any bookstore, auto parts store and/or public libraries.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't rebuild a Quadrajet. Quadrajets have gotten a bum rap over the years because many people claim that they can't get them to run properly. While it amy be true they they couldn't get them to run the fault lies with the person making the adjustments not with the carb.

Quadrajets can be very finicky when it comes to adjusting them. Very small adjustments can make dramatic changes in performance.

I've rebuilt dozens of Quadrajets and it's not really all that hard. Just take your time, read Doug Roe's book and follow instructions.

I'm sure you can rebuild it and get it set-up properly but don't expect to do it in an hour. Some tuning changes require you to almost take the whole thing apart, which can be time consuming and also gives you another chance to mess something up! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Have fun !!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"truck never ran right" means that any number of things besides the carb could have been bad. Swapping carbs isn't hard, it won't hurt to slap it on and try it before digging into it.

Besides, helps to have an idea of whats wrong first.