Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jun 25, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I know there was a carb made by predator I think that wasn't a 4-barrel but changed its flow by demand perhaps? Anyone know what I am talking about? I am looking for some carb options. I have liked edelbrock better than holley but want to find some other options. :waytogo:

2. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

yep predator mad a type of variable venturi carb i belive they still do and everyone ive talked to that uses em loves the H.E. double toothpicks out of em. I've never worked with one personally i saw one on a truck at tech school and just a couple months ago on tv on some mud racing bronco.

3. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

BTW im running a edlebrock performer 1406 its bone stock aside from jetting it to altitude lol dont even have the offroad needles and seats

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

cool thanks! I was begining to wonder... LOL summit doesn't carry them I guess... sometimes it hit or miss with summit anyways. Now to look up the predator carb :D

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but I bet it doesn't have a choke on the predator :haha: I may end up w/ an edelbrock. an elec choke Qjet or something.

What is the difference between the Qjet and say a mech/vacum 2ndary carb?

6. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

a vacume seconday carb is just that when vac drops the secondarys open. If you know your carb, mechanical secondary carbs can give you better mileage. Just stop at like half throttle and no seconadrys. With vac secondaries the vac decides when to open em.

7. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

btw the predator pry wont have a choke. But who needs em any way i've yet to even set mine all thru winter first thing in the morn 1 pump and she fires. Sure u got to sit and babysit but who here actually lets their rig idle alone anymore. I didnt even get an ele choke on my edlebrock since i dont use the choke much i didnt see spendin the extra $$$ besides if you decide to install one they make a kit for like 60 bucks.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I know that mech 2ndary has a linkage for it and vacum runs off vacum. I was wondering what sets the Qjet apart from them?

Also a choke is handy. I have a mech choked holley on the crew dually I am trading my dad for his. Doesn't like to run for a bit since I have no choke cable hooked up :haha: Elec is just easier and more convienient to put in. But if I ever took the time to warm it up before taking off in the morning when I did drive it there would have been no problems. :D

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Also where would one look up a predator to see about pricing?

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Quadrabog is the best of the bunch imho... but i am partial, 95% of my customers have quadrabogs...

http://www.predatorcarb.com/

iirc Mudjunkie82 runs twin Predators on his blown BB..... check the gallery...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

umm last time i checked quadrajets are mechanical secondaries exe the top plates but those are controled by airflow not manifold vac but those plates control the secondary metering rods

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my bad... brainfart moment... will edit that.... :o

13. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

lol no biggie
    i belive that the whole BOG in qudrabog comes from that very setup lol what were they thinking lol

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The lowers are manual (though that's also not totally accurate since the choke locks them out when its cold) but the uppers are held SHUT by engine vacuum, and held open via airflow.

I don't see any other way to design a vacuum secondary carb, I'd suspect the edelbrocks operate the same (or similar) way.

Theres nothing wrong with a properly tuned Quadrajet, they wouldn't have lasted 25 years in factory applications if there was. Only on very rare occassions did GM not think them up to the task at hand.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I would most likely get an edelbrock Qjet if I were to get any Qjet. I have had better luck w/ edelbrock carbs in general. But a predator is tempting if I could find out how much they are. Of course tbi probably would be fine since it is already on there and working LOL but that requires a bunch of sensors I would love nothing more than to delete 1st chance I get and add dual 3" exhaust and headers :D

16. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

Edlebrocks work the same way I'd go edlebrock. But ive heard good things about deamons we used them alot on muscle cars when I worked at spitbutt

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I don't know much aout deamons... thought they were more expensive. :duno: we still talking Qjets or just carbs in general?

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

also I had been to the predator site but no prices. :( anyone know how much they go for?

19. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

ive never tried a deamon on an off road aplication they are patterned off a holly so i dont see why they wouldnt work well

20. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

This application will be on a 454 currently tbi setup. Stock 454 tbi in an 89 scotsdale crew cab dually with 163,000 original miles I might add. :D And I still chirped them on accident this morning when taking off. Guess the 4.10's in the rear help out somwhat :D :saweet: all this and my brother ran it hot on the highway and it got hot when we tried to get it home. I am in the process of investigating its current issue. maybe head gaskets need to be replaced. LOL I kinda want to "hotrod" this truck as there really aren't any around that'll be like it. Yes there are crew duals but this one will have quite the attitude (if I can afford) in the future :D