Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Jul 31, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Has anyone designed a replacement computer controlled aftermaket carb for an 85 blazer yet? You would think there would be someone out there smart enough to realize,some people dont want rebuilt carbs. Does anyone know anything about it? :D You would figure instead of having to junk a perfectly good truck , they would just build the damn thing already.

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Computer controlled carb

Yes, it's called "Throttle body fuel injection". Those computer carbs were just band-aids until they had an injection system ready to go, and those computer carbs were the temporary solution.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:haha: Great :haha: ,,, so its a band aid carb :haha:

You would have though that some genious would have figured out how to make the damn thing run good though , or a replacement that runs good, after all this time.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just though i would complain fior a min :D

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try delco??

If anyone makes a new carb,it would be AC/Delco --but you'll have to clean lots of clogged toilets to buy one..last time I looked a new Q-jet (non electric) was over 600 bucks, :eek1: and that was quite a few years ago!..even most rebuilts are not cheap... :doah: :crazy:

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Lol, has anyone used one of these things? That you know of? Got a link? :D

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is anyone even rebuilding these things?

I know awhile back Holley was selling rebuilt ones as "Holley II"s and IIRC, they still list them on their website.

This is a little bit related to non CCC Q-jets, but I have a feeling that for emissions reasons, they can't build new ones. Every single application needs different stops and what not, and some of the other internals were different based on application, and with an ECM, it's not like you can just slap one in place of another and expect it to work right. At least with a non-CCC Q-jet, it's going to be close enough for most people out of the box.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, man, i remember looking at tose when we put the motor in, and, unless they have made some changes, they wont work on my app, because of smog laws. I wish it were that easy, i would just throw one on. :thumb:

I think thewre was one less vac line or something, it was a long time ago, but i remember it not being able to work i think. :crazy:

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

10. dyeager535

To be honest with you, I'm not sure how close would be close enough on these carbs.

Here, take a look at this chart CCC part numbers and tell me if you are comfortable with someone telling you one CCC carb is the same as all the others?

This is the same reason that I don't claim the non-CCC Q-jet to be necessarily one size fits all. It may be "good enough", but based on application, float height, float shape, baffle shape, primary jets, primary rods, secondary rods, secondary hangar, secondary air valve tension, secondary air valve restriction, needle/inlet design differences, fuel filter differences, power piston spring tension, (and so on) are all difference I can think of off the top of my head between two applications. It's a miracle they are even "close enough" with all those differences, but they are not going to be optimum.

With a computer looking at the primary side, the wrong settings (you're getting into MCS stops, etc now) might very well hurt performance and economy.

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

EEEooookay :haha: I always end up ,more confused in the end lol. I was *hoping* there would just be a simple bolt on app, lol :rotfl: :doah: ,, theres no doubt you are the man when it comes to this sort of stuff( and deisel4 me too) but, do you have a link to a carb i could just bolt on and go? Because its either that ,, or end up doing this,,,,,,,

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141883&page=1&pp=10 :deal:

And he is the ONLY one ive ever seen on this entire borad do it in this specific year, going by the ca smog rules, and have everything pass. :crazy:

Good thing im on his good side :wink1: :D ,,but, that deal is like alot of money for the swap, and it took him a long ass time. :crazy:

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What color is your electrical ? If its blue , then this is it . I can vouch for the rebuilder , mine ( non computer ) is coming up on 2 years old now , and it still works .

http://www.i-5automotive.com/page5.html

[​IMG]

13. dyeager535

A better question is, why do you need one?

I mean, if yours is good, rebuilding them isn't much more difficult than a standard Q-jet, and essentially the same problems with them that need corrected with age.

The mix control solenoid rarely fails, but the TPS is almost guaranteed to be bad, and can cause problems if it is. You'd want to buy that new, believe me.