Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ironmikek5, May 31, 2001.

1. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

First off, I'm new here, and I've learned quite a bit by reading this forum. Mostly bad things, but all learning is good.

I've got an '83 Jimmy that rolled out of the factory with a 305, but had a 350 swapped into it at some point. It was running real rough, so I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, as well as the fuel pump (which emitted a black goo when removed) and fuel filter (no goo, but it was no longer a paper cylinder, but a ball). The carb is the original from the 305...I'm doing the timing in the AM, but I've already convinced myself that it won't help.

My question is - is there any issue using the carb that was not tuned to the 350? As it appears that the fuel filter was being sucked into the quadrajet, I figured it might be a good question...

"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before"

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Rebuild the carb, you more than likly pulled in all kinds of dirt and parts of the filter. You could also buy a new edelbrock q-jet. Expensive but worth the money.

3. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I kind of assumed as much, and I've got a rebuild kit already. I guess my real question is whether I'm going to get great performance out of the engine if the carb was manufactured and tuned to a smaller engine. I guess I could make it easy and buy a quad for the 350 and rebuild that...

"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before"

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

It depends on how big the carb is. If you've got a 4 barrel Quadrajet, then you've got a pretty good carb to start with. I say rebuild it and tune it and toss it back on.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You shouldn't notice much, if any, problems with a Q-jet between a 305 and 350. If you get some light surging at cruise (steady throttle, 35mph-up) its running a bit lean, but I kinda doubt you are going to have that problem.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen