Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I have just started to redo my 71. It is a disaster under the hood. There are all kinds of wires that don't go anywhere and a lot of things not hooked up. I am replacing the carb with an edelbrock performer. On the carb now is the throttle cable hooked to the gas pedal. There is another cable that looks like it should be hooked to the carb unhooked laying on the manifold. What does this cable do and does it need to be hooked up?

Also, how can I find out what year motor I have. It has a HEI ignition so I'm sure its not the original motor.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://kodiak.coloradok5.com>http://kodiak.coloradok5.com</A>

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the second cable should go to your transmission. It's only activated when you punch it, it'll kick the trany into a lower gear(passing gear). It does not have to be hooked up, it won;t hurt anything. You just have to manually shift down when passing.
    Actually you may have the original motor, previous owner could have put an HEI ign in it. I've done it to mine. You have to look at the block serial number. It should be in the front passanger side of the block where the cyl hd meets the block. There are some stamping on the block too that tell you when/where the block was made.
    One good number to look at(casting number) is on the rear driver side of the motor, where the tranny bell housing bolts up. get them and post them and someone should give you more info.

ARQ.

3. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

You don't have a manual choke do you? The choke cable would come out the firewall and lay on the right side of the Carb if not hooked up. For extreme conditions (Alaska), some drivers might prefer a manual choke over electric, aneroid or manifold heat types. They were a rare option in '71. I had to cannibalize one out of my '67 sub. Could also be vestiges of a manual throttle.(?)
    Unless, or course, it is the automatic transmission kickdown.
    Without a picture its hard to tell.
    Have Fun and Good Luck.

4. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

ive got a 72 with HEI ignition, which was put in by the owner before me so that part shouldnt matter, but yeah get the numbers.

jeremy