Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Oct 20, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Alright...I admit it, I am a dummy when it comes to a lot of things...just ask my wife....I want to change out the stock quad carb and intake and replace it with something a little better and not so many vacuum lines to deal with....any suggestions as I dont have to worry about emmissions to much here. I will be doing this in conjuction with a rebuild....Thanks for the help..

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

When you say quad do you mean q-jet ? If so there isnt a better carb. Rebuild yours or get the edelbrock q- jet. Most of the reman's from parts stores seem to suck so I dont recomend them myself. Cap unused fittings.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

There are 2 options I would consider:

#1: Get a Q-jet from a place called SMI Carburetor. If you are really into rock crawling, install it backwards.

#2: Get a Holley Truck Avenger, but make double damn sure the list number on the air horn is 90670-2. Emphasis on the -2. I would go with this option if you are after street performance along with trail capablity.

I will say that a well setup Q-jet can give you plenty good enough performance.

4. theperfectgarage

I forgot about SMI, I read an article on those guy's once, sound's top notch. What about the " JET" reman's ? are they any good ?

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I like the Edelbrock Performer Air Gap manifold. And I would say the Holley truck avenger or a good rebuilt Q-Jet!!

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I was reading an old Chevy High Perfomance magazine online. It was about Qjets and they were following the rebuild of theirs being done my Jet Performance. The name of the guy doing the work was Sean Murphy, and they called him their Qjet guru. I've always wondered if he started his own place.

7. theperfectgarage

That's the guy, he's SMI. BTW, your gearing sounds fine, remove your front drive shaft and your good to go. :haha: