Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm working on a friends 64 GMC that she bought (its a 2wd stepside). Anyways, the PO put in a buick 350 with a 2 barrel carb(stock motor from some buick car). The carb leaks worse than a water facet and you can't hook up a th350 kickdown cable to it as it was a standard tranny buick. Can you put a 4 barrel carb onto a 2 barrel intake manifold with an adapter or do you have to swap intakes also?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Found my own answer, Trans-Adapt makes a 4bl to 2 bl plate.

Now for my next question. Would this be a wise move to put a 4bl carb on a 2bl intake or would it be better to just TRY and find another 2bl carb (that doesn't leak) to put back on it. Also would have to be able to hook up a th350 kickdown cable.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

4bbl carb to 2bbl intake adapter? or 2bbl carb to 4bbl intake?

i have seen the 2bbl carb to 4bbl intake adapters, but not sure and haven't seen the ones for the 4bbl carb to 2bbl intake,,,,doesn't seem right.

have you thought of tryint to install new gaskets in the carb,,like a mild rebuild?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't see a 4 barrel to 2 barrel adapter working good at all. I can see someone making one, I just don't see it being very effective. 750 or 800CFM trying to squeeze through at best 500CFM holes. :)

Is it a carb that can be rebuilt?

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The factory Buick carb should be a plaon ole Rochester 2GC. Just buy a 2 barrel rebuild kit.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its possible..

I've used those cheesy "Trans-Dapt" 2 to 4 barrel carb adapters..they work,but you have to be careful to be sure the additional base gaskets seal at all locations..there are so many holes in the adapter,some allow vacuum leaks to occour where the gasket does not cover them completely..I had to make a sheet metal "gasket"plate to use on mine,a bit larger than the carbs base gasket, to get the gaskets to seal 100%...

I put an Edelbock 600 CFM carb on my van's 73 307 motor,which had the tiny 2 bbl stock manifold for a 2GC Rochester carb,using an adapter..it ran ok,but the 4 barrels were a bit too much for it..it ran great on the primaries,but it did not run good when you floored it..it actually felt like it slowed down some!..my 305 in the 79 C10 now has the same carb on it,on a stock Q-jet 4 bbl intake..it runs about the same,so maybe the carb's secondary's are not jetted right ..I've had others vehicles with 4 bbl carbs adapted to a 2 bbl intake,that ran quite strong--hardly could tell the difference between it being "adapted",and having a real 4 bbl intake--at least on daily street driving..

I'd put another 2 bbl on it,since gas prices are insane,and will likely only get worse..a Q-jet would give better mileage if you keep your foot off the secondary barrels though..a Chevy version of the 2GC carb should bolt right on the Buick intake,and it'll have the stud for the detent cable if its off an automatic that had the TH350..or you could jerry rig one on the Buick carb by using a bolt and double nuts,or welding a stud pirated off another carb to the throttle lever....your carb probably only needs a new float and a jiffy kit,unless its cracked..:crazy:

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Now that is one sweet ride. :D I'm jealous.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nice!!

I'm jealous too!...I'd love to have a nice 60-66 GMC in my collection!..looks sweet for its age!...:bow: