Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb. question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 12, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

My idle engine has been racing at idle. It feels like the fast idle cam is sticking because when I manually trip the cam, my idle goes back to normal. My question is... On an 84 k5 305 w/ rochester quadrajet 4 barrel w/ electric choke, if I have a loose electrical connection to the choke, will that let it catch on high idle? Could someone explain the mechanism that dissengages the fast idle cam? is it electrically heated? I'm asking because the connector is broken and the wire was hanging off the choke connection this morning. I probably did that when I put the air cleaner back on yestaerday.
    Thanks. And just to give credit where credit is due my blazer would probably be a driveway queen without this site.

2. georgiared84

Okay, I put a new electrical connector on the choke wire and it lowered the rpm's after I blipped the throttle. So now my only question is , is this wire what controlls the fast idle cam? It looks like it's been loose for a while. And the trucks been having these symptoms for a while.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, the electrical acutator has to open the choke before the fast idle cam will release the throttle and let it close all the way.

4. georgiared84

Okay, I reconnected the wire with a new connector, and it's still staying at high idle. Could my choke be bad, or should I do an electrical test on the wire to see if any current is getting to the choke? Oh, I forgot to mention, the vacum port on the choke had a plug on it and it fell off. Will this affect it's performance any?