Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kidd5666, Jan 15, 2004.

1. kidd5666

kidd5666 Registered Member

I think my K5's carb is shot. Quite possible from what I hear. I have a flat spot. When I push the pedal, the truck wants to die, but doesnt, then takes off if I push the pedal past the flat spot. Im assuming this is a carb problem am I correct? Or could it have something to do with my engine being not stock. It's a 400 engine, not sure what year, with about 10,500 miles on a rebuild. <font color="red"> </font>

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its just the accelerator pump, common problem, just put a new one in it, you have two ways of replacing it... either on the truck(tricky and reaaaal fun) or rmeoved from the truck,( a little less tricky but still is fun if you have never been inside of a Q jet)

alot of carbs have this happen to them, its very common, i have a few new accelerator pumps around here if you want one and dont want ot have to pay for a whole rebuild kit in order to get one, but then you will probablyh need airhorn gasket anyways cuz if thge carb is original old and never been taken apart for a long time then the gasket will most likely tear on you. i have a ton of of these and other gaskets and parts all new and unused in my stash, but they made a zillion different ones over the years, all based on casting code on the carb, so..

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its just the accelerator pump, common problem, just put a new one in it, you have two ways of replacing it... either on the truck(tricky and reaaaal fun) or rmeoved from the truck,( a little less tricky but still is fun if you have never been inside of a Q jet)

alot of carbs have this happen to them, its very common, i have a few new accelerator pumps around here if you want one and dont want ot have to pay for a whole rebuild kit in order to get one, but then you will probablyh need airhorn gasket anyways cuz if thge carb is original old and never been taken apart for a long time then the gasket will most likely tear on you. i have a ton of of these and other gaskets and parts all new and unused in my stash, but they made a zillion different ones over the years, all based on casting code on the carb, so..

i can help you if you want to replace the pump yourself by explaining to you how to do it, in detail, if you need, PM or email me