Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb rebuild how hard?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blazer350, Apr 17, 2003.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

Ive wondering how hard it would be to rebuild a performer carb edl1405. I havent taken one apart before but was wondering if it would be safe to attempt this myself

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

um... it depends.

I think Quadrajets are easy but some folks would disagree with that.

The Edelbrock 1405 is a pretty simple square bore carb. Thats not saying that someone couldn't screw it up but if you can handle a wrench and can follow instructions, it shouldn't be too hard.

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Real easy to rebuild, just follow the directions and you should have no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Totally have to agree! I have the 1406 and rebuilding that took about 40 minutes. I think it soaked in the parts cleaner longer! Just make sure you have an assortment of star shaped screw drivers, and do not loose those little clips that hold the linkage together! They spring away easily and disapear forever!

5. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am having problems with my Edlebrock 1406 (600cfm electric choke). There is a coiled spring looking thing straight behind the choke that is leaking fuel. I touch it and my finger will have a few droplets of gas on it. When I start my engine it smells of gas really strong. I haven't driven it since I noticed that a. because it's not running smooth enough to idle and it dies, and b. I don't like the idea of that gas leak or whatever it is right over the intake.

I'm going through truck withdrawls, I've had to drive my girfriends Hyundai.

let me know what you think is wrong. I am open to any comments.

Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Dominic