Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb rebuild kit...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 13, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where is a good, cheap place to get a carb rebuild kit for a Q-jet? I'd probably get hosed locally, so online I think is better. Where can I get a good complete kit?
    Thaks

2. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Go to Lordco, they're cheap, 20-30 bucks. It'll contain all the gaskets plus a few extra you wont need, a few shaft seals, needle and seat, accelerator pump, etc. No float however. Any questions about the rebuild just ask. Keep in mind that the throttle plate will need to be bushed 95% of the time if it hasn't already.

James

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will Lordco have them in stock?
    What does bushed mean?
    Thanks, I will give them a call when the carb arrives...

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

heres a link i had that may help ya.. bushings are what the throttle shaft rides on thru the body. if you have up and down play in the shaft, it needs bushings.. i wouldn't say 95%, but a fair amount of the time they need it..

http://quadrajetcarburetors.com/bushingkitinstructions.html

and yeah, kits come with less and less each year. no floats, etc.. the brass floats are nicer, but usually they have the black plastic one in em..

any local place will more than likely stock them.. VERY common kit....

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

would the rebuild kit come with those bushings?

6. ryoken

nope..

i get mine thru my marine distributor. your local auto place MAY be able to get them if needed.. http://www.jetchip.com/ might have them.. or maybe a Google for Quadrajet bushings..

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I guess once I get the carb I will test to see if it needs new bushings, then I will google it and find some to buy. If not I won't bother putting them in if they're fine.
    But I wil probably end up getting new ones...

8. ryoken

haven't done any in awhile myself.. i have dozens of Quadrabog bases at work.. plus we sell alot of remans... if its tight, leave it... when ya put the kit in, give us a holla..

9. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ya 95% may be a little much but nearly every q-jet I've done has needed it done. Vacumn leaks suck:mad: Just to clarify, the bushings are not a replacement item. The housing of the primary throttle shaft is carefully dilled to a specific oversize and a brass/bronze:confused: "bushing" is installed which returns the hole size to the proper spec. This should be done on a mill or at least a drill press. Prolly cost $20 - $30 at a carb/fuel injection shop.

James

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ill PM you for more info when I get to the point of taking it apart.
    Thanks

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Carbs unlimited out my way was selling two bushings for $5 a couple of years back.

IIRC, the drill bit required is a "J". If doing one carb, it's probably worth the $30-40 a shop gets to do it. I paid something like $20 just for that drill bit, $5 for the bushing (only did the primary shaft drivers side as do many shops) and then trying to drill that SOFT base metal without a press. Didn't go quite right...kind of a loose fit (looser than it should have been) BUT it didn't cause any problems. Still, a drill press is the correct way to do it.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay. I hope I won't havve to replace it then, I don't have a drill press, and I don't have the extra money to pay a shop to do it...
    ill find out soon I guess!!

13. dyeager535

Only time I had one REALLY bad that needed bushed, idle was actually inconsistent...press the pedal, let off, every time the idle RPM was different.

Other than that, all the used ones I've dealt with were never that bad, and never noticed any difference by bushing them. Didn't hurt peace of mind, but didn't seem to help either.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks. I gues I will cross my fingers and wait until I find out.
    thanks.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

alright, recieved the qjet from James today (79stomper) hopefully I can clean up the bench, and take the carb off the Jimmy tomorrow and sit them side by side, read the manual jiminycricket sent me and then I will ask some questions.

thanks.

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you are planning of rebuilding both at the same time, i strongly recomend against doing that. most likely the parts inside won't interchange and it will be very easy to get the parts confused.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

no I am just rebuilding the one from James. I want to sit them side by side to see the difference. The Jimmy's old carb will be a wall hanging :grin:

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

do I need a new float? At the begining of this thread someone said they didn't come with a float. Should I replace it or no? how much $$?
    So gaskets, a few shaft seals, needle and seat, accelerator pump, anything else?
    Thanks, hope to FINALLY start saturday if they have any in stock.

19. dyeager535

Everything you really need should come in the rebuild kit, short of a float and bushings, but both of those are "maybes".

The later Q-jet floats (the phenolic or whatever, plastic) are very good. They probably can "fail", but I don't know as I'd worry about it. I've never had one (10+ rebuilds) that was bad, although I'm sure it has happened in the 25 years the Q-jets were used. *Early* were brass apparently, I'm not sure that is any better than the plastics, thats just personal opinion.

SHOULD only be a few bucks if they are out there, just make sure to get the right design, quite a few different shapes of them.

Getting the airhorn off with the carb on the vehicle isn't that hard, so a float COULD be something you could replace later if you decide it needs it. Won't scare you a bit to take the airhorn off by then. :)

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

alright thanks.
    I will soon find out o the weekend if it needs replacing. How can I tell? Is it obviious?
    Can't stay long, im at school right now.
    I'll report after 4:00 when I go to lordco.

Thanks Dorian