Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb rebuild with pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, May 21, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I am going to swap out my stock elctronic feedback carb for an older non feedback model. Anyone know of any good sites with carb rebuild how-to? Or anyone have some good tips? PICS down the page...

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't help with rebuild sites, but I know there are a few out there.

Curious, is your truck a former CA truck, or does it have one of the non-CCC carbs with the dual pump solenoid on it?

3. mostwanted

I don't think it was ever a CA truck, but I am not sure of the non-CCC? I don't know what that is. It does have some sort of solenoid on it tho. I will take some pics. The other carb that I can swap in has no electonics, yet it is still a Q-jet.

4. mostwanted

Here are some pics of my current Q-jet. How can I tell if its a rochester or carter? Are there some identifying markers on it?
    [​IMG]
    Here's a strait on shot

[​IMG]Is this the electronic feedback?

[​IMG]wtf is this about? What should be here?
    [​IMG]I am thinking that this is my electric choke?

[​IMG]another shot

5. dyeager535

Good call on the electric choke. :)

Someones monkeyed with the carb, wouldn't be amazed if it's just not setup/tuned right. (not that there can't be real problems of course)

That's just a "standard" Q-jet with the goofy electrical solenoid for cold fueling. It should be wired up to a switch in the thermostat. Never had one to play around with, it may run crummy cold or hot if not working correctly, you could unplug it and when warm, barring other issues, it should run the same.

That looked vacuum hose means someone has messed with the carb, which means other settings (idle mix, idle speed, air valve opening) could be wrong as well, all affecting driveability and mileage.

Go check out carcraft.com and for SURE corvettefever.com(?) for Q-jet rebuild articles. I'm almost certain corvette fever has a good rebuild one, but don't neglect four wheeler mag sites too.

6. mostwanted

thanks dyeager535, I was talking to my buddy, and we got to digging around and he came up with a ol' eldelbrock to swap in. We swapped the carbs tonight and I can already see a difference.

7. dyeager535

If you decide to get rid of that Q-jet, I might be interested in it for "historical" purposes. :)

8. mostwanted

it is currently being held ransom untill I can either pay for the eldelbrock that I have or replace it with anything better:eek1:???

9. dyeager535

Q-jet rebuild kits are about $20, although that doesn't include bushing the throttle shaft if it's worn and epoxying the well plugs.

Just an idea, if you spend some time on it the Q-jet probably wouldn't be bad at all. Of course, I know little of the operation of the dual capacity pump, so if it's shot and causes problems, that could really add to the cost.

Just an idea.