Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb rebuilds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jun 28, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

should i do it? i would like to before i drop the engine in, and it seems like its impossible to find anyone to do it.

its a regular q jet.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no brain surgen(see--I cant even spell it!)but I have rebuilt many carbs over the years--all you need is basic tools,and a nice clean table or bench to work at,a small magnet thelps keep all the screws and clips from vanishing,they usually give an exploded diagram in the carb kis,and a few spare clips.It is kinda tricky at first,but you will gain confidence after you take it apart a few times.If you have accsess to a junk carb,it might be wise to practice on that one first.The quadrajet isnt the easieast one to rebuild,but there are lots worse to do also.
    Gee--I must be getting old--you make it sound like all the dinosours like me that can rebulid carburetors have already bought the farm!
    Just follow the diections and make sure you do the float adjustments properly,also make sure the top bowl gasket is the exact match to the old one,they usually have more than one in the kit(and hope whoever rebuilt it the last time used the right one!)and you should have no problems--it helps to lock yourself in a room away from the kids,wife,phone and pets,you need all your concentration while doing a carb over,its easy to get distracted and lose little springs and check balls if you arent careful.
    If you are unsure of your skills you can buy a new or rebuilt carb,new is around 300 bucks,a rebult will run about 125 bucks,and a kit usually is about 15-25 bucks--a new float is highly reccomended,and not usually included in the kit,another 10 bucks or so. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i can show you how one night after work if you want.. just bring it by my shop in Brick. takes an hour or so... PM if ya want..

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

wow, thanks a lot!! i grew up in brick, so i know it well. where is your shop?

i got a newer 350 from a friend that is bored .30 over with roller rockers. i am using the manifold from an engine i bought from a member here, so i want to use the carb i got with that engine. it was running fine, but my buddy tore the head off and they were pretty sludged, so thats why he got me the better motor. he didnt get me the manifold with it because it didnt have the egr setup. (cant fit the egr valve anyways, so i have to try to make a plate to cover it now) im just wondering if i shouldnt rebuild it for the newer motor.

i have off until after the 4th of july, so i can come anytime. i will get you whatever you like, or take you out striper fishing or fluking, whatever you want.

i would really appreciate it and would love to learn how to rebuild the carb.

thanks again

tom