Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Recomendations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Aug 23, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I have a 350ci stock with headers, what carb would you recomend that would run and start good in the winter. I have a Holley 4b electric choke 600 cfm, and it runs like crap in the winter. During the summer it runs great.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Some form of Quadrajet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's the only carb that belongs on these trucks (IMHO).

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you have money to spend and Edelbrock Q-Jet, great off-road and on road /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If not a lot to spend, find a cheapie q-jet and have it rebuilt by a shop.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I say Quadrajet also , with electric choke . I have tried others and they do not sidehill , uphill , or downhill as good as the Q-jet . They all flow good too , and the smaller primaries make it work well on smaller motors /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 84mudmachine

I don't do extreme off road, just hunting and fishing. I was looking at the Edlebrock #1406, any thoughts? Do Edlebrock perform well in the cold?

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Edelbrocks are pretty much crap off road!! Except the Edelbrock Q-jet stay away from the performer series...they are great on street vehicles but offroad are garbage!! I just had nothing but probs with mine this last week on our trip out!!

7. ccarsonj

ccarsonj Newbie

I put the Edelbrock #1406 on my 84' 350 K10 about 4 months ago. Could not be happier.

8. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I have the 1406 on mine, and it runs great, even in the cold. it will give you problems on steep hills, but it's a pretty good all around carb for everything else. just depends on what kinda wheeling you plan to do.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go to a salvage yard, pull a stock Quadrajet off a truck simular to yours, take it home and rebuild it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I just gave someone a rebuildable stock Quadrajet because he wants too get rid of the Edelbrock garbage he currently has. Yes, it's common nolige that I don't like Edelcrap, but this person has one and wants to go back too a stock carb because he has had nothing but problems with his Edelbrock.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

q-jets rock. I have the stock one in my jimmy and last weekend it only died once... and then only cause I was at a pretty steep angle with the front end bouncing up and down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif other than that one hicup, it ran flawlessly.

j

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Stay away from edelbrock if you like wheelin, I had a Holley on before and liked it a lot more. I would prob recommend a Q-jet if you have the choice.

12. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't do extreme off road, just hunting and fishing. I was looking at the Edlebrock #1406, any thoughts? Do Edlebrock perform well in the cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Mine has an electric choke and started up fine in the winter in Utah /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. 84mudmachine

Check this out, I bought this today. It seemed like a good deal, and I should be able to sell my Holley to make up my cost.

ebay

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Let us know how it works out, I have seen those before and wondered how they were. Seems like a pretty good price /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BTW, how much are rebuilds from shops going for, anyone anyone? Just curious what one would expect to pay a carb shop.

15. 84mudmachine

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that I got the carb installed, and it workes great. The rebuild job on this one makes it look like a new one. I feel I got a really good deal on this one. As for how much I have seen rebuilt carbs for are arround $250. The I-5 site offers the rebuilt one I got for $265, thats why I jumped on this one for $165. If you take a one to a shop to get rebuilt, my friend spent about $125 for the parts and labor. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. stallion85

That's cool. I just traded my edelbrock with a cop here in Vegas for a Q-jet. I bought the rebuild kit w/ new float for $32. She runs great, just need to test her out on some off camber trail /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You should be a lot happier with the Q-jet.

17. 84mudmachine

Just wanted to let you guys know that the carb is still working great, and it's so much better than the Holley crap I had.

18. stallion85

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif