Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb runnin Rich, blackening my oil...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Aug 27, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Alright, I posted earlier that my oil was turning black real quick. Yall were kind enough to tell met that my carb was running rich. So I tweaked with it this weekend trying to equal out the fuel & air mix, but no luck. So I got fed up, and took it to the shop to this dude I know who's really handy with carbs. He couldn't do anything either. He told me it needed a rebuild. But I just got the damn thing rebuilt less than a year ago, but he said it probably wasn't done right. I told him I'll wait till next year, b/c I don't want to drop the money yet. So basically, my question is, with the oil running dark early, does that do any damage even when I change it every 3000 miles? Or should I change it when the oil looks really black, usually around 1500 miles. Thanks
    Boss

The Boss now allows you to visit his site
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I would change the oil sooner than later. With that much gas getting into the oil, of course the oil won't lubricate as good as it should (the gas will clean the parts though, not what you want). You could run into some problems in the higher rpm's, especially if it isn't lubricating properly. I would go ahead and have the carb rebuilt or just go ahead and buy a new one. How often are you having to change the oil? 1-2 months? I know that it might seem like a lot of money right now, however, you will spend a lot of money changing the oil all of the time. And I wouldn't want to run the risk of messing up the motor. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Try this my DC area brother.... When the oil gets black fast, change it & save it. Find out from a shop who sells those kits where you send the oil off to a lab. Maybe the results you get back will tell you if it's losing viscosity. Using synthetic oil? I prefer Mobil's trisynthetic. I'm also probably looking down the throat of a new carbeurator.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Changing the oil every 1500 miles?????!!!....Man, it would make more sence to get the thing fixed now instead of having to change the oil every month...think of the cost of oil/filters and add that up...seems to me the money you spend on that alone would be enough to get the thing fixed!?!????...just a suggestion

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I agree dude. But taking off my carb and rebuilding it and putting back on etc, etc will take atleast a week. I don't have another vehicle and already spent 1 week with out one when doing the flip, I can't afford to not have another truck that long. Well, currently I'm looking to buy another carb, so I'll just put it on, tune it, drive and never look back. Or buy a crappy one and rebuild that and put it on. Those are my options right now. And yeah, I know, changing the oil every 1500 is a pain. But for me its like 1 1/2 to 2 months.
    Boss

[​IMG]