Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb solutions?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by babyburb, Apr 9, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Not too knowledgable on Injection systems so please inform if you would.
    I will soon be swapping my 1976 sbc 400 to a 84 BBC 454. What would the simplest and cheapest way to get rid of my Rochester and go some sort of injection system. I looked into a multi port and they run $2500. Way out of my league. I see ads in magz for some sort of something for like $500 that you adjust with a hand computer but like I said, I don't know what to look for.
    I went just this weekend to unstick someone and had some carb troubles on a step incline. Would like to get this one fixed this summer if I could for $500 or less.
    Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Easiest, cheapest way is to get a setup from an '87+ old style pickup with TBI 454. I know at least on the early TBI 454's there was an adapter plate for the carbed intake, so you just remove the carb on the '84 (if it has one) and bolt the adapter and TBI throttle body on the engine. When you find a TBI 'sub ('87-91) grab all the donor parts: fuel tank (take sender out to confirm plastic tank baffle isn't broken) fuel lines, and the gauge cluster. To keep it as simple as possible, an '87-89 'burb would be ideal donor, take the speedometer cluster out of it, and use that cluster for the VSS. (1990-91 clusters/VSS are too different)

As to fuel lines, I suspect the portion(s) forward of the fuel filter might need a bit of an extension if you find a 350 TBI donor 'burb. The rear lines will be the same, but the fronts I'd expect to be a bit longer for a 454. Not sure, perhaps someone thats got a 454 setup can comment.

I don't know that it can be done for $500, as 454 TBI isn't as common as 350 stuff (no you can't use the 350 TBI :() but if you find the right seller, and the right donor, you could keep costs pretty low.

An '87-89 454 complete 'burb being parted would be your ideal candidate.

3. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

So what your saying is to find a 87 to 89 burb with a 454 and it will change right into it with no computer problems? Is it common to find a burb with a 454? I did not know they made these. Huh, learn something new everyday.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I decided to check out the brochures page, looks like 1991 'burbs didn't have a 454, but for instance, a 1990 3/4 ton 2wd 'burb could have. Same in 1987, so I suspect 1987-1990 3/4 ton 2wd 'burbs are all possible donors.

It's a little more complex than getting all the stuff from the donor, the major issues will be wiring (need to power certain circuits for the TBI, VSS) and if your engine is anything other than a low performance stock piece, the tune will be off, which means learning to burn your own chips, or paying someone else to do it for you. A stock engine will likely run ok if the engine is a bone stock one, but it is *possible* it may not.

To be honest, if you find one missing some running gear or something, you might want to consider getting it as-is, and swapping your good running gear into it. Either that, or consider swapping the entire newer electrical system into yours. Just makes wiring a fair bit easier, even if the wiring swap itself is a major pain. :)

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you dont want to go the swap route. Its more than the 500 you wanted to spend but You could check with http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ They can help you out. Prolly set you up with a complete bolt on GM TBI system Including fuel pump and Distributor for around 1400.
    They are a CK5 vendor too so I think members get a discount.
    The guy who owns affordableFI posts here under the name Eagle Mark.