Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Spacer

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm thinking of using a carb spacer on the street toy. Intake manifold is a Dart "Kool Can". Carb will be a Demon carb. What spacer would you use ??

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Depends on what you want out of it.
    As a rule:
    The open spacers increase the plentium size of your intake. These spacers will help build power on the top end.

The 4 hole spacers increase the air velociy at low RPM. Giving more torque on the low end.

You can tune your engine by using diferent thicknesses or even combinations of the two..
    Carb spacers are basicly something you use to tune an engine after you have everything else dialed in right.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It'll be used on a basicly stock 305 till I can build the 327 I want. It's a 78 El Camino. Maybe this one. [​IMG]

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I ordered the 4 hole 2" spacer and a stud kit for the carb. It'll go on my Dart intake manifold. [​IMG]

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Nice. That set up should wake that 305 up.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice. That set up should wake that 305 up.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know about that, but it'll go nicely on the 327 I plan on building in the future for the El Camino.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the 327 will be hot. They are a sweet engine. But if you put that combo on your 305 it may suprise you if you have a good exhaust system.
    Yeah I know 305 heads suck but getting rid of the smog carb and lousy intake has gotta help that anemic 305.
    I love El Caminos. My first hot rod was a 67 El camino with a mild 300+ hp 327/muncie 4speed.. I pretty much built the motor to the specs for the 67 Vette 10.25 to 1 CR 327. Even had the old rams head manifolds before I got some headers. It was a lot of fun..... Man that was a long time ago, around 1973. Brings back memories of a great car and good times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good luck with your Car. I know yull keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    PS. Do the newer El Caminos still have the secret compartment /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif in the front of the bed.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah the 327 will be hot. They are a sweet engine. But if you put that combo on your 305 it may suprise you if you have a good exhaust system.
    Yeah I know 305 heads suck but getting rid of the smog carb and lousy intake has gotta help that anemic 305.
    I love El Caminos. My first hot rod was a 67 El camino with a mild 300+ hp 327/muncie 4speed.. I pretty much built the motor to the specs for the 67 Vette 10.25 to 1 CR 327. Even had the old rams head manifolds before I got some headers. It was a lot of fun..... Man that was a long time ago, around 1973. Brings back memories of a great car and good times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good luck with your Car. I know yull keep us posted /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    PS. Do the newer El Caminos still have the secret compartment /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif in the front of the bed.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, it's got a "Smuggler's compartment". It'll make a great sub box. At the momment, it's got the stock exhaust, but I plan on Hooker Compitition series coated headers, with 2.5" dual exhaust. I will be buying the "G-Force" cross member for the Dual exhaust. My whole plans are a built 327, 700r4, and a posi rear with 3.73 gears. I'm not looking too build a major hot rod, just a fun little street toy. I'm consittering air ride suspension, but I may just go with Hotchkiss Preformance's TVS. That would lower the rear 1" and the front 1.75". I've got big plans, just not the big bucks too make it happen, LOL.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

i guess, my ?? would be..............................why? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    usually a spacer is used to enhance or change performance. On most of the new computer designed intake, as you have, they are NOT needed. They are designed with the best flow characteristics in stock castings. I could see doing it with older designed intakes, as many of them sucked out of the box!

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i guess, my ?? would be..............................why? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    usually a spacer is used to enhance or change performance. On most of the new computer designed intake, as you have, they are NOT needed. They are designed with the best flow characteristics in stock castings. I could see doing it with older designed intakes, as many of them sucked out of the box!

[/ QUOTE ]In all honesty, it's a $20.00 part. I want too try it with and without too see if there is any difference.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can only see adding 2" to the intake as a restriction in a 4 hole design. 1" seems a little more reasonable but I must agree with BAblazer, I just hope your dyno(butt) doesn't lie to you.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I can only see adding 2" to the intake as a restriction in a 4 hole design. 1" seems a little more reasonable but I must agree with BAblazer, I just hope your dyno(butt) doesn't lie to you.

[/ QUOTE ]For this street toy, HP and Torque numbers are unimportent. It's all about how it drives. It's not a race car, just a street cruser, nothing more. I just want a nice looking, fun too drive car. Something too have fun in. It will never see the drag strip. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I was curious about carb spacers and found this article interesting.