Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb spacer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by budweiser_man, Jun 29, 2005.

1. budweiser_man

budweiser_man Registered Member

I have a 74 blazer with a 350. stock carb, stock intake man, aftermarket headers and that about it. will a carb spacer make a difference for more power?

thanks

matt

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

It may, it may not, there's no hard and fast rule of when a spacer will give you more power. It's basically trial and error, but more times than not, it's a Band-aid fix for upgrades that may not be working together as well as they might, such as more cam than the heads can handle, or an engine with a too big carb, stuff like that. Since your combo is basically stock, a spacer probably won't do you much good, since these are all parts designed to work together in the first place. Plus, you have to realize that there are 2 different kinds of spacers, open and 4 hole. Open spacers are generally used to improve the airflow from the carb at top end on a dual plane manifold, 4 holes usually improve low end torque, and raise the carb up so the fuel doesn't puddle up in the intake plenum. Since your engine has headers added to it, a 4 hole MAY help now that you've opened up the exhaust. (Did you add bigger pipes as well to get the most out of those headers?). It may help, it may not do anything, It may actually COST you power, you'll never know until you put one on. Basically it boils down to are you willing to spend the 20 bucks or whatever to find out?

3. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

Like LongIslander26 said, it may or it may not. We have played with spacers on the dyno. Usually they are good for a gain. We have seen up to 14 HP gain on a 400 plus HP engine using a HVH Super Sucker spacer. Once we even saw a loss in power. But usually there is a 5 HP gain or so (of course this is on 400 HP plus circle track motors, stock motors probably wont see as much results). On my 383 in truck which made 451 HP on the dyno, I gained 8 HP with the HVH spacer. Its worth a try if you can get one bought worth the money. :grin:

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMO carb spacers are a good mod when you have done everything else to an engine and want a few extra ponys or move your torque curve a little.
    I dont think you will see much of an improvement on a stock engine. A four hole spacer may give better throttle responce and add a lottle more torque down low.
    The best thing to do for your engine now is a new intake. Might as well stuff in a cam while you have the intake off. Then you can play around with a carb spacer and it may have an effect.

5. budweiser_man

budweiser_man Registered Member

thanks for the responces, I usually deal with turbo charged volvos, so makeing power from a v8 is greek to me right now.:confused: the truck has duel 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 in pipes, with cherry bombs.

about where should the secondaries be kicking in on the carb?