Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb Suggestions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CraigG, Jul 31, 2001.

1. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

I'm more of a body and suspension guy and not super knowledgable under the hood, so I would like y'alls help. I'm needing a new carb soon and would like your suggestions. My blazer sees 30% offroad and 70% street. It's currently got a Holley 600 2 barrel and it sucks offroad, and my friends say it sucks on the street too, but I don't know better there :)

So I'm open to suggestions. Offroad performance is important, but I also want to get as much as I can out of my 350 when racing those stinkin' Honda Civics with mufflers the size of a basketball.

BTW- I've been a lurker on here for about 2 months. Thus far you guys have been very informative.

Thanx,
    Craig G

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i am sold on the edelbrock 1901 Q-jet. it's a new repo of the original. I am surprised how good my 30yrs Q-jet carb runs on some of those steep inclines. runs great on street.

search on carbs a few weeks back, you'll find some more coments.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Go with the Q-jet. If you can afford it get a new one from edlebrock if not you might want to look into getting a junkyard one and having it rebuilt by a good carb shop. The q-jet is a 750 cfm carb so it will give you more top end than the 600 you have now. I have seen Q-jets idle at angles that I thought only EFI would work on without skipping a beat. On a hill climb with 3/8 of a tank the hill kept getting steeper till the tank read "E". The carb ran fine till the pick-up ran dry. I was quight impressed.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

4. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I am running the edelbrock 1901 and love it.
    I use to run the edelbrock performer carb and it sucked on hill climbs and all around use.
    The quadrajet is the only way to go.
    blazin72

Blazin 72

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too run the Edelbrock Q-Jet # 1901. I have had the carb for well over 5yrs now and I tell ya it has never let me down, knock knock(just incase Mr. Murphy is reading this!!).
    They are not cheep but you should not need another carb so it's a good investment!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

6. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I run a holley and loved it so much I sold my edelbrock and the the holley is there to stay. If I were you I would get the street avenger carb that holley makes there are a couple stages they are bolt on performance.
    colin

IF its not broke , break it and upgrade it.

7. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I have a Holley 650 double pumper. Takes a bit to set, but once it's done it's power time! I use it on the dunes and streets when I race the rustangs!

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

CraigG,

I would go with the others who have mentioned the Q-Jet....it really seems to be the ONLY carb to get for offroading, and from what I've read it doesn't give up anything to the others brands on the street either!!!

If you really want every last ounce of performance....call Jet. They will custom calibrate a Q-Jet for your particular engine, and driving style. It seems like a good way to "have it all"....

...plus don't forget, it's a spreadbore style so you can run on those teeny primaries for economy and then get all the "Rice-burning-chaos-pavement-wrinkling-wheelstanding-firebreathing-POWER" when you decide to mash the throttle and open up the secondaries!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72
    When funds allow, my Edelbrock 1407 is leaving....and a Q-Jet is going in!

9. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I can vouch for the Edelbrock Performer sucking on hill climbs. There is an off-road kit you can buy which comes with a spring loaded needle and seat. I think it's around $50. I moved to Florida about a year ago and there's not many hills to climb here. I've been pretty happy with the street performance so far. I've had it on for about a year and a half. Oh, it's a 1406.

10. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

Thank you to all! A buddy also said to go with the Q-Jet. So looks like I'm set there.

Shoot, I love this board.

11. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know how much the off-road needle kit helps the performance off-road. Edelbrock convinced me it works so I put it on my 1411. (750CFM) I guess we'll see when I finally get this thing fininshed. Anybody else try it? JT