Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb swapping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikemud, May 8, 2004.

1. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if the old choke assembly on a 70's q-jet can be upgraded with one off of a newer style with electric choke? and if so it is a direct bolt on? thanks in advance...

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It can be done on hot air choke models. I think it is as easy as removing the three screws/rivets and putting on the electric coil and engaging the coil onto the linkage post where the hot air coil was . Of course the hole on the end for the hot air hose needs plugged off.

Now divorced choke is trickier as there is no housing for any automatic choke. You may be able to use a newer baseplate, but I don't think so /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

interesting, when i get the other carb i will have to see what is going on, in the meantime thanks for the help.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Paul is right...some models it's apparently an easy swap, but on some of them, you can't just bolt the choke housing up to them...there is a whole slew of problems in these cases, the choke linkage pivot diameters are different, the housing doesn't fit correctly, etc.

Just have to wait and see when you get the other carb.