Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb, TBI or TPI??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Mar 2, 2001.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a new engine in my 85 K5 and was considering on changing out my carb. Is it worth the money and trouble to install a TBI or a TPI. Or should I just upgrade the Carb. I want to do it right the first time and be pleased with the results.

2. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

Any injection system is better than a carb anyday/anyway!!!!! TPI is the best but pricie.TBI is more installer friendly an cost is more in line with the average k5 pilot...I myself is about to go TBI on my 85 blazer.Im using a unit of a 83 chevy caprice that a scavenged from a wrecking yard..I got the intire unit plus the factory wiring harnes...You can get a system form a aftermarket supplier for around 800.00 usd.Its complete with instrutions.. Good luck with your project...RGee...

1985 Blazer, 305 soon to be a TBI 350, 700r4, msd ign, 3.43s, headers, 31x10.50x15s

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Man did you step into a pool of flammed pooooo nuggets[​IMG] . If you do a search of posts on TPI, TBI you will find a lot of debate on this. I am partial to TPI and TBI. I like my gas milage, no tuning problems, instant throttle response, and the fact that I have no problems with emmisions. Of course if you are starting from scratch you will be spending some $$$$. Look for a Camaro for a TPI set-up or a truck for the TBI. I will admit the carb. is the prettiest in the line up as far as price goes. Though the overall performance between the two is all in how well you set them up. In the long run how much do you really save? For me I like the injection. You have all the potential for the power. Look at this way too. 500+ hp is nothing if you run out off fuel getting there. Well thats my $0.02, excuse me while I duck and cover.

[​IMG]

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

TBI is the way to go, if you have already have the 350. Get one from a 89-91 Blazer or Sub and take the computer and harness. You can get this set up for next to nothin out here in NC out of the yards, if you pull it yourself (most yards will let you do that if you are a decent person) It took me almost 3 hours to pull the dam thing, and nearly a week to get it hooked up in my older Sub 350. A few sensors needed if you don't want to be throwin codes. I must have gone back to the yard maybe 5 times to get all the crap I needed, and some fab work. This is the cheap way to go, and as far a better than carb, OH YEA! I had a holley before and was always tring to figure out how to tune it for on road and off road driving styles, so TBI is a must. I TPI looked like to much for me to try to do on my own. Essentially the same work, but more than I wanted to do. Don't forget things like the in tank fuel pump and better lines. This is one of the things I had to go back and get. Again, I am kind of shade tree mechanic, so I am sure most people don't have the lack of knowledge that I do. Good luck, and don't mess with a carb.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

For a shade tree "you done good".

[​IMG]

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Your final direction depends on a couple of things (at least a couple!) - what is your budget, and what do you really want out of the new injection/motor. If you have the bucks, and can find a pro - go with TPI. Not that a pretty good shadetree mechanic couldn't do the conversion, but if you want the ultimate setup, find an expert or start reading/learning everything you can about injection in general, and TPI specifically. I got lucky - twice - first the TPI hardware (intake, runners, throttle body, etc.) was total cost including heads to match for $400. Second, after the rod knock in the motor became too much, I was fortunate to find a great local TPI guru - his experience with TPI is nothing short of remarkable. Has done over 120 TPI conversions. It in reality is a rather simple conversion..........if you have the hardware and the cojones to go for it. Same basic setup as TBI, gotta have the sensors, computer, wiring harness. The rest is basic.

As you can tell, I love TPI. Have pics of the finished product on my site below if you care to see. I couldn't be happier with the end result.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

A new Edelbrock Q-jet and Performer intake costs about $550. I think you can find a complete TPI for just a little more than that (check out ebay), so a carb setup is not that cheaper than TPI.

Carb is cheaper than TPI or TBI when it comes to replacing parts. All you need for a carb is a rebuild kit once every few years, and that's about $40. Sensors on the other hand are much more expensive. If you make sure all the sensors and harness from the TPI you get are in good condition you'll be saving a lot of $$$.

Installation is not so complicated. Just install all sensors, manifold, computer, plenum and runners and then wire everything with the harness. An extra expense you should watch out with TPI is the burning of a custom chip for your application.

I'm going to swap my q-jet/performer intake for an 86 Camaro TPI sometime this year. In the meantime I'm trying to learn everything I can on the net.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]