Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb-TBI questions

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Citizen Rider, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

May 5, 2005
    Im about to buy a complete TBI system from an 87 TBI truck with a 350.

Are there any problems with the computer or anything putting this into an 83 blazer?
    I know it will need a different intake if i keep an older engine. But ive heard people say stuff about stand alone computers, this and that....Im just trying to make sure the computer and harness from the 87 will work just fine and not need anything major to make it work.

Also, instead of changing Gas tanks, what would be a good fuel pump to run inline with teh fuel lines?

How hard is the swap usually? Very hard to tune and get set up?
  2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

Nov 5, 2006
    i just did this, if you are running a stock motor, there should be no need for tuning, i gat a painless harness, so i didn't have to try and splice the factory one, the computer should be fine, i put it in the same spot that the factory spark control box was under the dash.
  3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2000
    If you can get the complete TBI engine that'd be best... Then you won't have any problems at all getting the truck up and running, as you'll be running the engine that the chip is set up for. I have run my TBI setup on a 73 Nova 350 with the stock 73 camshaft, and a set of TBI heads, it ran like a scalded ape in the top end, but it had problems with bogging in the bottom end. I swapped that same TBI setup onto an 84 350 HO from a 1 ton in my step-side after the 73 350 started knocking, except I used the stock cam, and stock heads by modifying the intake to fit, and again, ran extremely well in the top end, but bogged a bunch in the bottom end. I'm about to put a set of TBI heads, and a TBI cam into the 84 engine, and see what happens...

Any 15 PSI inline fuel pump will be fine, the throttle body's internal regulator will take care of the rest. You will want to install a charcoal canister if your truck doesn't already have one or you'll get a strong gas smell from the stock fuel tank, as it can't vent itself properly with the fuel pump return...

Only other difficulty is the speed sensor, which can be solved by using the little green box that is behind your speedometer, if so equipped, it makes the proper speed signal the computer is looking for.
  4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    If you can get the tank out of the 87 it would be better. FI tanks have a sump in them so the FP always is submerged and has gas to pull. Without the sump If you are low on gas on a side hill or steep climb the gas will all flow to one side of the tank and the pump will loose its prime. The engine will stall and wont start untill you can get the gas back to the pump.

Also TBI is sensitive to what kind of inline pump you use. You should use one designed for TBI Carter and Holley make them. Other inline pumps may work, but some have pulsations that can mess up the way the regulator works and cause driveability problems.