Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CARB tech questions.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaKK54Speed, Mar 16, 2007.

1. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

ok, so i rebuilt my carb. tore it all down, dipped the parts overnight. got it back together, and it runs good. before i tore it apart it seemed to always idle high (like 1200 rpm) it seems ok now but still a little high, i adjusted the idle screw so it sits around 800 or so. any lower than that and it wants to idle rough.

i dont have any idle air mixture screws. this quad does not have them. i can see where they should be but its like they filled the hole in from the factory??? weird. here is a picture of what i mean: you can see in this picture where both screws should be.
    [​IMG]

also, this thing was not hooked up before i rebuilt it.. what is it exactly??
    [​IMG]
    the thing im holding in my hand is what i am talking about. is it ok to leave it off? the wire is there for it on the engine, but it was disconnected.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wel the ting in pic 2 is the idle solenoid , it holds higer idle when a/c is on . Don't throw it away , you can wire it to boost idle when using on board air , or to keep from stalling with a manual tranny when wheeling technical stuff , or to raise the idle when winching or jump starting some one .

As for the idle mix screws , try removing the plugs , the are under there . Buy a tool to adjust , or find a thinwall small socket that kinda grabs it .

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Try removing the plugs first, if they won't come out like they are, cut the carb casting away pretty much right through where they staked the plugs in place in your picture.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, that will cause a rough idle as well.

4. BlaKK54Speed

are you guys sure! i mean i scraped around them with a screwdriver and they seem to be part of the carb itself? i dont want to cut it up if they are supposed to be there. all the screws i have ever seen stick out so you can adjust them, why would they be covered up like that? does anyone else have pics of theirs like this? its an 85 k5 with the 305 in case any one wants to know.

5. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

cut a small amount of the base off so you can pop the plugs out, they have never been adjusted that is why they are still there, usually what works best is to cut a small V into the base, from each corner of the plug, then you can get a screwdriver behind them to pop it out.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

And BTW , the mounting screws get snugged , not tightened until you stop before you break something .

Look at pic one , your bolts have eaten into the air horn , and the surface isn't flat anymore .

Put a washer under the bolt heads :thumb:

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As everyone said you have to pop those plugs out to adjust the idle mixture.
    They were plugged at the factory because of stupid smog laws so No one could mess with the idle mixture and kill the world.. But you usually have to remove them after a rebuild to get them adjusted right. Once you get the plugs out you will see the adjustment screws. You will not hurt the carb by cutting a little into the base to pry the plugs out. Pretty common thing to do.

8. BlaKK54Speed

ok! thanks for the info guys, i will just have to cut them out so i can adjust it. after 21 years i am sure they could use a little tweaking!!! what would be best for cutting them, a dremel? ill have to go out there and see what i can do. i would rather leave it on the truck and do it. that way i dont have to tear it all off just to get to a couple screws.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You need to cut from the bottom, nowhere near the top. You don't want to cut above the screws, you are likely to hit a passage.

If you can get at that with it on the truck, great, but don't chance it if it's tight.

10. BlaKK54Speed

ok that sounds good. i noticed there are three notches surrounding the plugs, i may be able to get a pick in there and pop them out without cutting them open.