Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb to fi motor swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chebywanna, Jul 21, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

its the frist time i ever swap out a motor, and have never seen it done, nor do i know anyone that has (im all alone in this world /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) so here are my questions.
    #1 i pulled a complete motor out of a 98 camaro and want to stick it into my 77 k20, now what preassure fuel pump do i have to get and do i need anything else (regulator?) or would it be as simple as hooking up the lines and power for the pump.
    #2 im quite sure the original motor had a mechanical pump, haven't looked yeat but anyone know where i can find an electric fuel pump for my truck? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Do yourself a favor and pull the sending unit out of the tank, in the 98, and take all lines with it.

You can get an aftermarket electric fuel pump from any parts store. I would get an original if it was me...

3. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

I'm doing the same kind of swap right now. Get everything back to the fuel pump if you can, I didn't and I am regretting it.

4. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i thought about that but the fuel tanks are totally different in the two, i havnt measured the dept of them but i doubt its the same, or is it?
    as to the fuel lines, i was thinking of reusing the original truck lines and just "modifying" the ends to meet up with the motor and pump.

loggie, did you set the motor in place yeat? im wondering if the motor mounts mech up.

5. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

Yes I have dropped the engine in and had no problems with the motor mounts, I haven't attached the exhaust manifolds yet so I don't know if there is going to be a clearance problem there but eyeballing it, it looks like it should fit fine. I am actually going from an old 350 to a 454 from a 99 suburban so I can't tell you for sure that you won't have any issues but since your new engine is probably the same size as your old one, I would doubt it.

As for the fuel pump, I ordered an oem pump and it has a spring loaded collapseable base so depth wasn't an issue, perhaps the camaro pump is the same, you might want to check it out. I did have to widen the hole in the tank to fit the new pump, that was a pain but generally in-tank pumps are better.

The fuel lines will probably be the least of your worries but I have had trouble because there aren't any good parts stores around me and the a-holes at autozone and kragen keep trying to sell me regular fuel hose when I ask for fuel injected hose. I think they want me to die or something.

Anyhow I am doing the same kind of swap so I will try to answer any questions you post, but I am learning as I go along so please don't take anything I say as expert advice.

6. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

The first thing to do is get the factory service manuals for the Camaro... You'll be pulling your hair out for the next 6 months without it. www.helminc.com

Sal

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Fuel pumps out of '88 TPI Camaro's (and the like) are a "drop in" to replace the TBI fuel pump (in the correct 87-91 sending unit) for the '87-91 K5's.