Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb to fuel inj.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Sep 29, 2000.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on replaceing my tired 305 with a brand new, shiny crate 350. But, I'm going to go to fuel injection and would like to know all what I'll have to change, wiring, ect. I have a fourspeed auto (I couldn't tell you exactly what one), and cruise. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Unless you can get a complete GM TBI or MPI system. that includes the computer, wireing harness, and all the needed sensors,fuel pump, ect, which can be expensive. You may want to go with a Holley TBI system. it comes as a bolt on kit with everything you need. I think they are around $1300. bucks.

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I was planning to get a new fuel injected crate motor from GM. I'm just wondering about all the electrical work ect. it would take to upgrade my '85 Jimmy.

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Depending if you get the MPI or TBI crate engine, you'll have to get the proper fuel pump with the right pressure. Then on to a wiring harness, my suggestion would be to call Painless Performance at 1-800-423-9696 or the web site www.painlessperformance.com and have them make you one. You'll have to get the computer also from a 4X4 of the same vintage of the engine. My suggestion would to order an engine from AutoZone or Kragen for about $2000 for their top of the line blueprinted/balanced engines and throw a Holly Projection for the other $1300. It comes with all the stuff you will need, even the computer.

5. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about....

Are you talking about GM 350 Ramjet injection motor? If so, the only electrical hook ups it requires is 12v power and a fuel return and supply hook up.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option is the factory TPI setup. Available in many vehicles, you can find a donor vehicle in a boneyard, get all the hard parts, add a painless wiring harness, and off you go. Did it a year and a half ago, originally was MAF, now being tweaked and modified to Speed Density, new chip, yadda. But the factory setup worked great too, instant seat of the pants improvement over my carb and Performer. If you go this route, make sure you get all the sensors and computer from the donor vehicle.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Just something to remember. The Vortec heads have a different bolt pattern, and do not accecpt most aftermarket EFI. You can have the heads drilled and tapped to accecpt the old intakes, but it is a real pain in the ass and voids the warranty on the engine. 96 up GM throttle boddies are a direct bolt on.

8. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I think I got it now. Anymore info still appreciated though.

"I can get us outta this, it just gonna take whole lotta floorin'"

9. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the same thing to my 86 Sub. There's a place in Hesperia ,CA. called Instant Injection and I cann't find the stinken phone number!!!! Any way they are a complete kit with every thing you need for around $1300. I called a junk yard and I can get a complete motor with EFI for $1500 including computer, wiring, manifolds, ect. Just another option to think about.

blazen91 Mike