Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb to Fuel Injection question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Dec 30, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well Ive been thinking lately that I should finally catch of with the times a put a fuel injection in my blazer. Now what will I need and how much will this cost me(lets hope the junk yard has some stuff). Right now I have a Edelebrock 600cfm performer. I hope this aint gonna cost to much. Thanks in advance.
    Spencer
    Carolina K5 Xtreme

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Depends on what type of FI you want. TBI, TPI, aftermarket?

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Check out
    www.thirdgen.org (f-body site, but they have a lot of FI stuff) you can find a TBI unit for ~$350+ You will still need to modify a chip (+$200) for your motor though.

www.diy-efi.org - He sells reconditioned factory TBI FI for ~$860 (+200 for chip burning) with warranty. And he will walk you through making the chips.

Howell-efi.com They take a factory computer and sensors and modify it for your application and they make TPI, and MPFI.

Then there is the Holley setups (IMHO It kinda' sucks if something breaks out in the woods though, then you will have to mail order the parts)

Edelbrock.com

Accel.com

etc. etc.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"Cheap" is relative.

Prices have already been quoted, don't forget you've got to run all new fuel line, a baffled fuel tank if you want it exactly like a stock TBI K5, new fuel pump, and so on and so on.

Not trying to discourage, but it's not something you want to get half the pieces for, and then give up.

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good point!! Thats why Im asking you guys And now Im seeing its gonna be costly AHHHH well I guess I'll wait a little longer Thanks anyways,
    SPence

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a question.

IF I was to steal the TBI setup from my '87 C30 and put it on my K10, what exactly would it take to do so? Exactly which sensors are required?

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You will get a check engine light, as I recall the '87 computer controls the lockup torque converter on the 700 tranny...

You will need EVERYTHING. You will need the throttle body, wairing harness, all the relays (computer relay, fuel pump relay), computer, Distributor, knock sensor, throttle position sensor, temp sensor, MAP sensor (MAF sensor if so equipped), fuel pump, fuel pump return line, Manifold air Temp sensor, Idle air controller (in the throttle body). I think there is one or two other things, I forget off-the-top of my head.

Good luck.