Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CARB TO fUEL INJECTION sWAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Jul 26, 2002.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Please let me know how much this would cost and how hard it would be to do to my 79 jimmmmmm!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Cost depends on where you get it, how hard depends on if you got all the parts like your suposed to. TBI? TPI? What kind of motor is it going on?

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As said above.
    it depends on what kind of FI you want.
    To buy new:
    TBI will cost 800 to 1200
    TPI will cost 1500- 2000
    These guys sell both kinds and their prices aren't too bad:
    (link)Howell-efi.com
    heres some more links:
    holley fuel injection
    turbocity.com

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Did TPI swap on my '79. With all the parts and the wiring harness not too bad a project. You have GOT to do the research up front, and learn all you can if you are doing it yourself.

www.tpis.com
    www.azspeed-marine.com
    www.jagsthatrun.com (good books on the subject here)

Plenty more if you need them...........let us know.

5. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of installing a TBI setup on my 85 Blazer now. The cost is not that bad if you can get the complete setup. My swap is off a 92-93 1500 Chevy and trust me it has been a chore to get rid of all the unnecessary wire in the harness (ie. wiper, abs, and all the other stuff that is not needed). Just like BlazzinOR stated you must do the research up front. I had no idea how to do the swap but, I found a real good price for a new take-off system. After I got the system I spent about a month reading and reading any and all post that dealt with the swap. I even when as far as to print them all out. I bought all the recommended books and read them front to back. Oh, and I asked a ton of questions here (thanks guys). Now I believe it will work just fine.

As for the cost of things, it can get up there real fast. I was looking in the parts yards for days for all the parts I needed for the swap. After reading about all the bad problems old tanks and sending units have; I decided to go new. I searched the web for days to find the right prices and I found them. I was thinking about doing a detailed write-up on the subject when I&amp;#8217;m done with it.

As my father used to say when I was a kid, &amp;#8220;It only cost 100% more to go first class.&amp;#8221;

Good luck
    Charles

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you get serious about doing the swap, let me know, I might be able to put you in touch with a guy that has done many of these swaps, and sells complete setups. Could probably get you rolling for around $6-700 if he wants the work.

The costs add up *quickly* depending on what you want to do. Due to my choice of heads (Vortec) I'm buying a $400 intake...and the $600 I spent for the entire setup *included* an intake, I just can't use it. $400 is not even expensive when talking about fuel injection intakes, for a cost example. You have to be REAL serious about doing the swap, and start learning before you've got it in your hands and decide you didn't really want to do all this research and work /forums/images/icons/wink.gif