Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb to MPFI....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Feb 10, 2003.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I am way to stupid mechanically to even try this, but wth... For lack of better things to do this weekend, I went trapsing thru a junk yard, found a Z-28 with a 305 and MPFI.Guy said the whole system could be mine for $500.00. Since my carb is a cluster @$^% anyway, It's really kind of in the ballpark pricewise. The only thing is that the camero's 305, and my 305 dont look anything similar, and I really have no clue what I'm doing here. Is this a doable swap...will they match up, and what else do I need. Thanks alot... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It will work, but it takes a lot of time and studying.

305/305 swap would be fine, but things such as manual vs auto come into play, as wellas wiring everything up, adding O2, and so on.

I wish I could tell you how worthwhile it is, but I haven't finished my swap yet. If you weren't changing anything on the motor (you'd need an '85 or 86 for the "old style" intake pattern) I'd guess you'd be somewhere around $1000 for the swap, but you'd still want to leave yourself some serious $$ on the side for the unexpected stuff.

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

byadding O2 you mean...would the ram air injection system on the camero be able to be modified???thats what I was hoping for

4. dyeager535

No, what I mean is, O2 sensor in the exhaust woul dhave to be added.

Induction method really doesn't have anything to do with injection specifically, unless you are talking about turbo and what not.

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

ahhhhh....thanx

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Is this the factory system that came with the camaro? If so, what year?

7. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm stupid....Its a '87....Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Thanks

8. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">You could make that setup work on your truck. I did almost the same thing this summer. Your 87 setup uses a mass airflow sensor instead of a MAP sensor like mine. All this means is you have a few extra parts to hook up, no big deal. Here's my Webshots album with pictures and a breif explination of how I did everything. Let me know if you have any questions. http://community.webshots.com/album/40905935RwhQXH

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

That helped alot...thanks. I guess here is the main question,was it worth it to do the swap in your opinion? What I've been told is that it will give me more grunt, more MPG and way better preformance all around. Is that a true assumption? Thanks

10. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">I would do it all over again. The only thing I regret is letting all these parts sit in my basement for a year before I started the swap. It's much smoother and more powerfull throughout the RPM range, especially at idle and just above it. The trails by me are steep so angles were an issue, I walk right through stuff now that I couldnt even think of trying with the carb. Oh one more thing, it was sitting for 2 1/2 months this winter and fired right up the first time without touching the gas and idled smooth like it had been running all day. Try that with a carb /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

kool... I'm convinced, Visa about to be $500.00 poorer, plus whatever else comes along the way /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I guess the Blazer is going away for a while.

12. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Are you getting the whole motor or just the EFI? If it's just the EFI, I would try and work him down a little. Five hundred sounds a little high for a MAF setup. Make sure they remove the harness and not just cut it at the firewall with a pair of bolt cutters /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I've seen bone yards do some pretty dumb things

13. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Are you getting the whole motor or just the EFI? If it's just the EFI, I would try and work him down a little. Five hundred sounds a little high for a MAF setup. Make sure they remove the harness and not just cut it at the firewall with a pair of bolt cutters /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I've seen bone yards do some pretty dumb things

14. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

not the whole motor...the FI, computer, induction, all gas lines and tank, dont know that i can use the pump, but thought I'd check it out....everything that connects to the fuel and air intake system....with a 90 day guarantee....

15. dyeager535

I second that. Make SURE they don't cut ANY of the harness, even the fan lead(s). It makes it a lot tougher, and so far the only thing I've had to really mess with is the wiring connector under the dash that leads to the fuse panel, VSS, and the ALDL connector. I don't even know if you can PULL that stuff from a camaro without removing the entire dash, but if you can, do it. It's a lot easier to tell what you are dealing with if its not been cut, and you can match the plugs to the diagram.

I'll tell you that you need the '87 wiring manual for the Camaro, but as I recall www.thirdgen.org has some of the '87 wiring manual online, at least in regards to the TPI.

Take all the fuel lines and such (uncut) as GM used braided lines in spots, they will help you route it down the drivers side frame rail. (F-body TPI fuel in is drivers side)

16. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Get the fuel pump too

17. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Thanks...just picked it all up this morning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I took everything that even remotely hooked up to the system, including the entire fuel tank.The dash did have to be removed from the camero...as well as a bunch of AC stuff from the firewall to get access to slide the harness out without injuring it. But I think it was well worth it. I got the fuel lines in tact, plus several other donor lines for making it fit. I think I have everything that I could possibly use from the camero, plus a few things just in case. I got a couple of books that give step by step instructions on a carb to FI swap...but they are written in greek, so the questions will be flying soon I'm sure. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

You guys got me very interested in this TPI conversion off a junked Camaro. I've got an 88' 350TBI motor in my blazer. My initial engine upgrade plan for this summer was to run Vortec heads and intake manifold as well as a better cam, new pistons, alum. roller rockers, etc. as well as an ignition upgrade (slightly over 2 grand in parts). At one time I was interested in the TPI conversion kit that you can buy brand new but that's over 1000 bucks, a lot more than I could afford. Anyway, could I run this TPI setup with Vortec style heads? What year camaros came with a 350 TPI motor that I could get parts from? Did you have any problems with underhood clearance once you installed the taller TPI intake? And lastly, would you recommend that I consider this type of conversion? Thanks.

Matt

19. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">You can run Vortec heads, but only with a pricey manifold. For a couple hundred more, you could just get some AFR heads and keep the stock intake. The stock TPI system has trouble suplying enough air to make power over 4500-5000 RPM, but different base intakes and runners are availible. You dont need a setup off a 350, a 305 setup can work if you use 350 injectors, or a adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the right PROM tuning. The TPI system is actually the same height as my carb and intake was, I have plenty of room. Weather or not the conversion is right for you depends on your motor and what you plan to do with the truck

20. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

My main goal for my motor is to get it running as efficiently as possible. I don't take it off road much and it's my daily driver so I'm trying to get the best MPG possible, without spending an arm and a leg. And I seriously doubt that I'll ever rev up to 4500 or 5000 RPM, so I don't think that's a problem. By the way, what are AFR heads and where do I get them? Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into the swap.

Matt