Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb to TBI Conversion Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 8, 2001.

I have an 85 stock K5 with a 305. Have acquired a 1989 TBI engine from a chevy caprice. I have the complete wiring harness,from the ECM to the engine sensors etc. Has any one put a similar setup in an 85? What would be involved in adding this setup to the existing wiring harness? Would there be many mods to the wiring required under the dash? Are there parts of the electronic controlled distributor harness in the 85 that could be used (speed control, code light)? Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Feb 25, 2001
    Imagine that, I have the same truck. Soon I will be doing a TPI swap in it. What size engine? I got a book called "TPI fuel injection swapper's guide", it's helping me out tremendously. A couple books that people recommended to me are "Chevrolet TBI & TPI engine swapping manual" by Mike Knell. And JTR book "Chevrolet TPI & TBI engine swapping". It is helping me out, give it a try.
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    The cool thing is that GM keeps 99% of the engine wiring harness self contained. You can make just a few connections between it and your present harness and the engine will run. However, you'll need to have a good understanding of reading wiring diagrams (or know someone who does) to get things hooked up right. If not, you can save yourself a lot of headaches by getting an aftermarket wiring harness from someone like Painless Wiring or Howell Fuel Injection.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>