Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb to TBI ECM mounting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm starting to wrap up my carb to TBI conversion. I'm wondering where other people decided to mount the ECM. I could shove it behind the glove box, but I'm still messing with programming PROMs and stuff, so I want to be able to get at it.

Since I have no center console, I was contemplating some sort of enclosure to go between the seats that looks good and can take some abuse. I could just run the harness to it and then also use it as a mounting location for the check engine light and ALDL connector. I'm stuck at the moment trying to come up with an enclosure that doesn't look totally cobbled up though... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does it have the mounting points for it (or ESC your year) behind the glove box?

In my case, I have the entire dash out anyways, but without the glovebox door, I can easily access it. However, since the factory mount is so "heavy duty" it's kind of hard to pull the ECM out anyways.

The wires on mine are long enough for the ECM to lay on the floor (or one edge of it is) so when I start messing with the PROM, I will just leave it hanging out. Once I start on the PROM, I intend to finish it, so it wouldn't be that way for long. (haha! right)

Just my opinion. Having to lengthen ALL the wires, protect them, and find another suitable place to mount it just didn't appeal to me. I had contemplated it, (under seat maybe?) but it just made more sense to use what was there.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't have a factory harness. It's fairly long, so I could mount between the seats without any trouble. Under a seat might be a stretch since the hole in the firewall is behind the distributor.

No, I have no factory mount points or anything. They didn't know what EFI was in 1983. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, but they knew what ESC was, and in some years, it was mounted in the same place. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My '86 was a diesel, yet my ECM is mounted exactly where and how a 1987-91 R/V would have it. Gotta love GM not changing things they don't have to. Just not sure what year the ESC was mounted above the glovebox. Your truck wouldn't have the plastic holder that will work with the ECM you have, but if the mounting points are there, even without an ESC computer, you should see them. Three "triangular" steel tabs with one hole in each for a large screw.