Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb to TBI swap, going to swap and need any info available

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Well, I am getting a smoking deal on a TBI set up and serpentine belt set up too. I am running a '91 model engine, so my heads will work. I want to make sure to get all the parts from the other truck. Here is the list I have so far

Intake
    TBI
    ECM
    wiring harness
    all sensors
    distributor
    driver side manifold for O2 sensor
    all hoses and lines hooked to engine
    I am going to run a Howell TBI pump, so that covers the fuel delivery method. If you know of anything else I am missing please post up.

I need all the information on this swap I can get, so any and all links would be helpful. I have searched and got a little info, but a lot of posts to look through.

The serpentine set up, do I have to change all my accesories over to late model ones for this to work? I assume I will also have to change my power steering lines too.

I am not trying to beat a dead horse, any info would help me.

Thanks,
    Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Just e-mailed you ALL the wiring diagrams you could pssibly need for TBI systems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Could you e-mail them to me also, thanks.

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You need to consider mounting an in-tank pump setup on that truck. The external pump might work alright for a while but they are problematic....

Other than that, it's an easy swap!

Andy

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

External pump is the way to go IMO. They sell many different kinds of them that will work with TBI.

Check your catalog at work (you guys sell the same fuel pumps I do) There are at least a half dozen inline type pumps with different inlets that will work great in this application.

If you want to go the easy route the painless harness is about $300. I haven't decided yet.

I'm planning on running a 3 wire O2 sensor too because I'm going to have mine back in the headers a ways from the engine.

For the serpentine yes you will need to change to the late model power steering pump and a CS style alternator. Well worth it IMO. I've got a setup on the floor waiting to go in my own truck.

Good luck, take pictures, and tell us all how it went if you beat me to it as I'll be doing this swap probably this summer.