Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb to TBI swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Jan 19, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I have been concidering swapping my carb to a tbi set-up. My main question is, what all is involved in the wireing aspect of the swap. Any insight will help as i still live in a carburated world and i am tbi stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If I had a carb and was going TBI... I would go for a full on MPFI setup (one of the stand alone units). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I like the TBI though... computer wiring harness, sensors, throttle body... the harness is the biggest part I would guess /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I forgot, dist and coil.. basically all the electronics /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

Find a complete wrecked truck, TBI F-body, or B-body and steal the complete computer, EPROM, wiring harness, EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, because it'll make the whole process easier. My uncle and I did the swap on a '69 C-10. We integraged the '69 wiring harness with the TBI wiring harness. I ended up swapping out the EFI because it never quite worked right. I'm confident that it was something in the wiring. In retrospect, the best bet would be to use a specially made wiring harness from Street and Performance, Painless Wiring, Ron Francis Wire Works, etc. You're looking to spend about $500-$600 on a harness, but it's probably the best bet, since many of the sensors send the ECU signals in millevolts, and if you have too many, or bad splices in the system, the ECU will get bad readings.

Some other things to think about.
    * You will more than likely need a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) I picked mine up from Street and Performance, and it's totally trick. It's got a pulse generator built in for the computer, and also has a speedo cable output for older trucks. Plus, it's bitchin' looking, being as it's blue anodized billet.
    *Fuel pump - An auto parts store piston type in-line pump will be fine. They will easily put out the 15 or so PSI that the TBI requires, and flows plenty to keep it fed.

That's all for now, but just ask if you have any other questions.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would get a truck with EFI for parts, atleast access to one to insure you get all the parts you need. Standard truck efi is easier to swap in(i have heard) because you don't have to worry about tranny input/outputs. Also, If you have a complete truck, you can take the speedo/speedsensor out of it and swap into your truck. If can use an aftermarket inline pump, Then you can use from a pick up also. 2 or 4wheel drive. I have a stock TBI system in my 87 blazer with std tranny I most likely will be cutting up in spring. Without fuel tank/pump(hard to ship) i will be asking 300. Still runs fine, but is my plow truck!