Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carb to tpi plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grey88, Dec 12, 2006.

1. grey88

grey88 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey i was wondering if anybody has used the adapter that allows you to use TBI on a carb manifold and if was any good or worth it to get an aftermarket intake and use that w/ my TBI system. what i was thinkin about doin was gettin the edelbrock air-gap intake and usuing that adapter w/ my TBI. i've been wondering it because theres just not to many aftermarket TBI manifolds out there and then saw a guy do it on cardomain on his 87 or so chevy pickup and figured you guys would know. thanks guys.

adam

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

first off its tBi not tPi. lol anyway the heads from 87+ are diff than 86- bc of the intake for the tbi. therefore you can only get an tbi intake for your heads. you COULD redrill and tap your head if you realy wanted to put a pre 87intake on your truck.

to answer your question ive never heard of what your talking about before...you mean like a carb spacer right? cept for tbi...

3. grey88

ya its like a carb spacer. they do make an air-gap manifold from edelbrock for 87-95 small blocks, theres one in summit racing. and i'm not sure what year that engine was that the guy was usuing.

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

tbi dont matter it came on 87+ motors. therefore 87+heads w/tbi etc. lol. the intake that yuo smeak of will work on this motor. if your unsure of your motor on the drivers back of the block there is a number like 39700101 ish go to mo rtec.co m and match the numbers thatlll tell you everything about your block.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Let me get this straight. You want to put a carb manifold on a TBI engine then adapt the tb to the carb manifold?
    By the time you buy the adapter..then adapt your linkage so the TV cable works right. You will be into it for about as money as an aftermarket TBI manifold costs. Aint really worth the time and money.
    Unles you have better heads, cam, larger TB, and other performance mods there is no reason to put an air gap manifold on a stock engine.

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of the transdapt # 2211 center mount I got from summit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the center mount does not line up too well with a stock castiron manifold. The rear mount # 2206 would have been a better fit if you are trying to use the stock manifold.

I ended up using this adapter on an edelbrock intake, so far it looks good.

broncoman6524. Some good advantages of using the adapter are the ease, and cost. He could have the tbi bolted on in 30 min. for less than $50

:D

Thunder. I believe he wants to put TBI on an older carbed engine.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I fully understand what you want to do. There are many companies that sell many different types of intake manifolds for carbs but only a handful for TBI specific and you want to install a carb manifold which would perform better than the TBI manifold then use the carb to TBI adapter so your TBI will mount up. Yes it will work and no problems other than making sure the TV cable geometery is correct. I have the adpater you need if you're interested, it is a factory adapter that was used on the 454 TBI's. PM me if you need this adapter.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That adapter needs to be used with a dual plane intake and not the factory style manifold as you have pictured.

9. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Thats why you might notice the intake is no longer on the motor;)
    When I found out it wasn't going to work, I decided to use an edelbrock intake.:D
    But I though it might be useful to take a pic to show a pitfall to be aware of:doah: , so the next guy can order the right part.
    #2211 centermount
    #2206 rearmount.
    :laugh:

10. grey88

well i was gonna put all msd ignition w/ headman long tube headers with a fairly larger cam but still daily driveable w/ 1/6 ratio rockers and stuff like that that i can change w/o pulling the whole motor at the present point in time. later one down the road i'll have head work and block work done. thanx guys

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been running the holley tbi adaptor for a couple of years now. Simple and cheap enough ($47). Its bolted to an Elde Air Gap intake, large cam, headers, and chipped.

12. grey88

sweet so sounds like for me its a go on the adapter