Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb tuning.. a fair price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 17, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I called a local repair place and they said $45 if they just had to mess with the screws. Said it would be more if they have to take the carb off and (knock out the plugs so they can tune it). I have the carb off and see no such plugs. Could someone enlighten me to these "plugs" I need to chizzle out of my Q-jet? Is this real, or is the mechanic smoking the crack rock?
    Thanks,
    James

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

$45 to mess with the screws sounds like a lot to me. I am sure some of the carb experts on here could talk you over the phone in 5 minutes to set that up....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are talking about taking the covers off the idle mix screws. Two (typical) flat blade screw heads on the front bottom of the carb, each angling a bit towards it's respective fender. That's what they are talking about, but that is idle mix only.

Later on they started covering those screws with plugs to keep you from messing with them, also changing from a screw head to just two flats.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I asked my mechanic (the guy that I dont use anymore due to all mechanics out there suck anymore.. cant trust one of them.
    he wanted $65 per hr.... so no flat fee... depends on how long it took him.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

A good friend of mine directed me to this guy near me. He rebuilt my quad to stock specs and tuned it for me for a 100 bucks. Granted this is a really good deal and he did a very good job. I had no idea carbs can run this good when tuned properly.

6. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I usually charge $100 plus the kit for a complete rebuild. For an Extra 20 I'll give my best guess on jets and metering rods to fit your combo (if it's not the stock carburetor or you've modifyied the motor) An extra 30 will get it mildy modified, an extra 75 will get it modifyied to the hilt (Way past what jet does to theirs) for either off roading or racing. For this bring it by after you've installed it, or buy the beer and have me come over, and I'll dial in the mixture screws and idle included. If I didnt' build the carb for you it's $20 if you just want it running ok, $45 if you want the works (includes reseting timing and such). Total dial in on car/truck can add up to some time, and I'll do it for people, but I charge heavily. To get it dialed in you have to drive the thing, while either having an O2 sensor hooked up and reader (preferably wideband), or keep pulling the plugs, or using something like a g-tech in a pinch. Each time you have to pull the top plate off the carb, make a small change, put it back together and do it all over again. Now after all this the vehicle will run damn near like fuel injection, get better gas mileage and power, but it's a pain in the rear and you should pay for it, plus the cost of jets and metering rods. Can easily add up to couple hundred dollars and considering I'll usually have an extra 4-8 hours in it, thats a good price. Hope this helps you out.
    John