Carb Tuning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Jul 10, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Jun 12, 2002
    Could someone please tell me how to tune my Edelbrock Carb.? I went to the online manual and cant understand any of it. I dont know what the needles up front are for..i just know the idle screw. im sick of wasted un burned gas.
  2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Jan 16, 2002
    The screws do not have much to do with your fuel mileage!

I was getting about 15 MPG out of the box on the Edelbrock.

Make sure your initial ignition timing is set right and your vaccuum advance is working.

Here's how to adjust the Edelbrock screws anyways.

Turn screw in until engine bogs a little, (not to the point of close) now turn it out 1/4 turn at a time until it speeds up, when it speeds up after turning it 1/4 turn turn it back 1/4 turn close. Repeat on other screw.

Adjust idle as necessary recheck ignition.

Ignition settings ----
    Initial should be around 8- 12 depending on Engine, Cam, compression ratio, and heads. (I run ~14 degrees inital in the winter. Summer time I run ~10-12 degrees initial because of my compression ratio and only able to get 91 octane gas here in CA)

For power - Make sure your ignition is getting around 20 degrees mechanical advance (vaccum disconnected) at about 2500-2800 rpms (28 - 30 degrees inital and mechanical). If not R&R the springs and weights.

For fuel mileage --- Now make your vaccuum adjusted (Crane Adjustable vacuum canister) for about 18 degree (if you have EGR) if you don't have EGR make it about 10-12 degrees). And "dial-out" any part throttle ping.

I get about 42 TOTAL = 10 inital + 20 mechanical + 12 vacuum

Have fun!

I now get ~13 - 14 mpg provided I stay out of the go peddle this was with the TH350! I can hardly wait to see what kind of mileage I get with the stick. I think I will have to readjust my vacuum advance for the stick!

Good luck.