Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carb wars, what's best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spencerjw, Oct 19, 2001.

1. spencerjw

spencerjw Registered Member

Carb wars, what\'s best?

I thinkthat I am going to get a new Carb for my 86 with the 305 in it. I heard (read) something on here a while ago about people not liking the Edelbrock, is there something specifically bad about it? what about the Holy? Suggestions are greatly welcome!

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Carb wars, what\'s best?

Yep, the Edel square bore (AFB clone) will choke and die if you put it on an angle. I had one on my old 75 Blazer 454. Took it right back off and returned it. Before I returned it, I called and talked to a couple of the Edel tech guys about the "off-road kit" They said it mainly helped with sloshing due to bumps and whoops but that nothing would really help much for extreme angles (like I was doing when it kept dying, no fun on a staircase!). Anyway, my previous Q-Jet was always great so I exchanged the little square bore for one of the Edel Q-Jets. Best carb I have EVER run, right out of the box. A little more money but OH SO WORTH IT! Oh, and Holley is like the AFB, only fit for street/strip (maybe bog/sand but Q-Jet still rules there IMHO).

These are just my opinions and some people WILL disagree with them. However, something like 90% of the serious wheelers on this board will agree. There are a couple who seem to have done ok with Holley and the AFBs but, most who have tried them, threw them back very fast (or hated them for a while and then replaced them).

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Q-Jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

Go with the Q-Jet. Be it rochester or edelbrock, you will not be disappointed. I have had terrible luck with the edelbrock square bore when climbing any hills. It is great on the street, and through the flat mud holes, but not worth the trouble when you tip it.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

5. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

I think that BadDog's info is quite right exept that I personally prefer the Holley for the simple reason that it is much easier to strip and adjust out in the "rough". You are forced to run the float level a little low in order to run the engine on some radical angles though. The only drawback comes at high rpm on the highway, where the carb then sometimes starves a bit. I run my big block 454 under a 750 double pumper Holley and I am very happy. As for the "off road" kits available for these carbs - save your money, they are not worth the bother. I dumped the kit after only a week. One added advantage of the double pumper is that for everyday use around the city, I simply remove the linkage to the second stage and reduce the fuel consumption by quite a bit. This takes only a few seconds to do without any other adjustments.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

6. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

There are only 2 carburetors that I will use. The first being a stock Rochester Q-Jet, or a Holley Double Pumper. I've had a few cars with the Q-Jet, and they just work, and work very well. My old K5 had one, and you could sit that truck at a 90 degree angle, and the engine would just purr.

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Until you get F.I., the Q-Jet is the only way to go if you do any off-roading on anything other than level ground. Holley's will make more power, but a Q-Jet will run until truck flops over. I had to shut my truck off after it was setting on its top (it was still idling.) It had a Q-Jet.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

exactly what i did. got a reman. q-jet till the GF let's me get a FI system. i have only died twice on all my trail runs...

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My stock q-jet ran all the way to the last roll when I rolled 6 times. It ran out of gas and died. I personally like the holley DP, but never put one on my Jimmy because I havent had problems with the q-jet. I run a holley 750 DP w/ mechanical secondarys and love it. Never had any problems, and the other nice part is the four corner idle adjustments.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Q-jet. Hands down.

I replaced my Q-jet on my '85 454 for an Edelbrock Q-jet. Ran much better and smoother. Made more power too.

I have experimented with Holleys before. Never again! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I hate my carter POS.... it chokes and dies when I make left turns, let alone when I tried to go wheeling in it... I've done a couple of flat spins in my old C20 pickup truck, and not had it die, whereas, like I said, I try to make left turns, and the stupid thing dies.

besides, I;m getting 13 MPG on a 454 with a properly tuned Qjet, and can out accelerate most cars on the road.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

12. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

the best Carb for these trucks hands down is an Edlebrock Q-jet, 795 cfm... Hands Down.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

13. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

Q-Jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rust=Good
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bodatious.com> bodatious </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudboggingfun.homestead.com> my site </a>

14. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

Even though I'm running an eldebrock square bore on my 350 I would much rather have a q-jet. I can't say I've had the trouble you guys have though. I've been in some perty interesting situations and the carb never died once. Just my 2 cents

<font color=red> It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it</font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

15. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

Is anyone running the old Mopar "Thermo-Quad" 4BBL carb?I used to have one on my 440 powered Duster and it just screamed!Thinking of putting one on the mouse motor.