Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carberator help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aj_tatted, Sep 17, 2003.

1. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever put a holley 650 on a 305 and if so did they have trouble tuning it in. if there is anyone in the dfw area that is familiar with these carbs please help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

although i didnt put it on my old 305, i had a holley 4160 on my new 350 until recently. when tuned it ran great, but my truck wasnt driven everyday, and it seemed like if i let it sit for a few weeks it'd need to be tuned again. then i blew a powervalve with a backfire and the truck wouldnt run. i bought an edelbrock thunder avs off road recently and out of the box it worked perfectly. it's been my experience that holleys require too much attention, granted i dont have the best of luck with vehicles sometimes, but you may want to try something else that'll require less maintence....just my 2 cents, others may have had much better experiences with holleys on DD's

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

go to mortec.com they have a section on tuning holly carbs.............................good luck

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Is it a non choke 650?? If so it is most likely set up from the factory for a Ford 302.. I had that problem a few years back... the universal non-choke 650's generally need to be retuned for a 305 or 350, what symptoms are you having? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

no it has a electric choke on the side. it ran real good for a couple of days, then here recently it's been stalling and hesitating on the go. but only when i'm at low rpms, anything over 2000 and it runs good. i bought a rebuild kit but my buddy says that the holley's can be alitletrick to rebuild(something about needing special tools) so i haven't dug into it yet. thought i might get some advise first. i have it setting on a performer intake and i have a carb spacer, but ijust haven't put it on yet. i read somewhere that with these bigger carbs that you need to increase the air flow for them to run correctly especially on a small block. i haven't put headers on yet as i have none. i'm thinking either tuning issues or accelerator pump. what do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 650 may be too big for the 305...
    Is it stock???

Holley carbs take the most work to tune....
    A vacuum gage and a sensitive tach are needed.

People ask if my 350 is fuel-injected...
    but...it's just a Holley Truck Avenger...

7. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

it's not completely stock. here's what i've done to it:accel supercoil and wires , edelbrock performer intake, larger radiator, and holley 650 with 1"spacer.
    next to be done: headers and a cam