Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

carbfor305

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Jul 11, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok Im one of those guys that have a sluggish 305's. I still have the original carb on it. It needs a rebuild asof now it is going to cost me almost 300 bucks to have it rebuilt so should I drop the old carb and get a new one. I would like somthing that would give me more power but still save on fuel since I live in AK and the cheapest gas of now is 1.83 . I would aslo like somthing that isnt going to give me trouble in the winter.
    Thanks Brian

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

300 steep to rebuild a carb. Try an edelbrock q-jet, expensive but brand new. You can buy rebuilds at auto parts store too.

3. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am in the same situation as you, but not quiet as far advanced. I have an 85 Jimmy with 305 and weakening carb. If you don't do too much with the fuel, you could go with the 600CFM edelbrock performer (EDL-1400). You could get one with EGR and electric choke (which is what mine has) for $250 from Summit Racing (http://www.carbs.net. They are reputable and most likely have your carb (M4ME) for $285.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 35X12.5 BFG MTs, 15x10 Hellcats, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

5. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I have a used carb for a 1985 that I purchased used from Grim. This is the partial electronic type. I have never used it because I found out my ecm was bad so changing carbs would have done no good at that point. So to get around the bad ecm (computor) I bought an Edelbrock mod 1904. I was told that this used carb was working very well and that it came off a wreck that Grim heard run, then he purchased the motor and had this carb left over. It is still in the box he shipped it in. Let me know if you are interested and I will cut you a deal. I paid $100.00............Pat

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stick with the Q-jet. Either rebuild what you have, or buy one that is rebuilt. Does yours have an electrical plug on it? Either way, a rebuild is easy enough to do, and as long as someone hasn't already monkeyed with the carb, you should have no problem getting it to run good again. A carb shop should be able to bush the primary throttle shaft if it needs it, or if you just like the insurance. Locally that costs $40 to have done, you can buy two of the bushings for $5 though, if you have the right drill bit, which I believe is a "J"

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen