Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbon canister question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have a 74, so I don't need to smog it in Cali. However, I chucked the carbon canister since it was thrashed. Now I'm putting the Blazer back together and wonder if I need to replace it with a new one or if I can cap the line or what?

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

All a carbon canister is is a trap for gas fumes. then when the motor has vacume (or in a newer car the solonoid opens) the motor draws the vapor that would normally evaporata and be lost and uses it to improve econimy and make the vehicle cleaner. So yeah you can just cap em but believe it or not over the long run you may notice a change in econimy /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mines disconnected right now. Put a new carb on and all my lines are still there but none of them are doing anything. All I noticed is my gas tank used to have a problem where when I took the cap off I could hear a vaccum like it wasn't breathing, without the lines hooked up thats gone. Something must have been wrong.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Sounds good. I guess I'll just run a hose off the metal line that goes back to the tank and cap it with a VW fuel filter like I use on my diff vent lines...