Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Carbon Cleaning with ATF revisited???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know we have coverd this but was unable to come up with a search for the answer to my ?
    My ? is when you do this cleaning procedure at what RPM should the motor be? I'm thinking around 1500 or is idle good enough??
    Thanks

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

1500 sounds about right, although when you suck in the atf, you are gonna have to rev it to keep it running. Worked like a champ for me, just make sure that your exhaust pipes are not pointed at something you want ruined.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool thanks Dep!! That is what I was thinking was gonna happen! Similar to carb cleaner eh!!
    I would also asume you would want the motor nice and warm??
    Thanks

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The way it works is yes, you pour some in the carb. ATF has a very high detergent ratio and as you burn it off it cleans your engine of LOTS of carbon buildup.
    I have not done it since my 350 is a higher-mileage unit. If your engine is not 100Kplus, it would probably be OK to do it. Keep in mind that with higher mileage units, some carbon buildup is what is keeping your cylinder compresson up and stopping some oil leaks - my engine would more than likely run like crap if I did it.
    -- Mike

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahh, TX Mudder I would NOT dump it down the carb. They way it should be done is to 'SUCK' in into your intake thru a main vacume port under your carb. That way you are not putting ATF into your carb just your intake.
    You are also the first to say it's not good for High millage motors! ANyone else have comments on this cleaning process??????????

7. 88blazer

88blazer Registered Member

IMO, ATF is the best thing out there for cleaning carbon deposits. The rotary engine guys have been pouring it down the carb for years without problems. I see your point about using the vacuum port, I too am hesitant to pour foreign fluids down my carb. But I pouted it into my RX-7s carb and had no problems.

The reason it works so well in rotary’s is because they are much more resistant to hydrostatic lockup. So the ATF is allowed to sit in the engine for 24 hours to break down the carbon deposits. This is much more effective then just sucking it thru a running engine. Sucking it thru still works very well though.
    Amsoil (I think) makes a product that foams up, so it can be sprayed into a non-running engine and allowed to sit without worries of hydro-lock. I've never tired it, but piston engine guys suggested it to me when I asked them this same question. Just throwing out another possibility.
    I've never heard that cleaning out carbon deposits is bad for an engine either.

http://bernie.4t.com

8. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

"High milage" is a pretty subjective term. I cleaned a 350 in my '89 at 183,000 miles. Got a lot of carbon out the exhaust. I used the vacumn it into the manifold through the pcv hose method. No adverse effects that I noticed.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If I were to do it, I'd pour is slowly through the carb opening - straight shot to the manifold. Slow enough so as to not hydrolock it. Plus, you could fiddle with the throttle cable to keep a good rpm going. I don't see where it would cause any damage to a carb. Especially a Carter/Edel like mine, with no gaskets below the fuel level.

High mileage is subjective in that a well-maintained engine
    with 200K can be in much better shape internally than a 75K porrly-maintaned engine.
    However, I have unknown miles on an '80 Camaro 350 in my truck, and it obviously has seen better days, so my engine surely qaulifies for the high-mleage tag.
    If you've had your truck for awhile, you are surely a better judge of your engine than the odometer.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I sucked it into mine with the PCV Valve. I also poured some down my friend's '86 that ran like crap and it was blowing smoke out the exhaust for like a block, then it ran really good until it threw a rod about a week later. The rod is unrelated though.

90K5

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Anybody know how to do this on a TBI 350?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

12. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Another way you can clean carbon out of your engine is to mist water into the carb with a spray bottle. The water mist turns to steam when it hits the cylinder, and steam cleans the carbon out. I have used this method several times with no adverse affects. You just have to make sure you mist it in (because if you pour it, it will probably hydro lock) and keep the RPMS up.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

GM has a product for doing this. It's like $8. My work van just developed a very bad miss. They did a compression check and found number 7 at only 70 psi. Thankfully the mechanic was actully half way decent and decided before he pulled the head to try the Top end engine cleaner as GM calls it and it corrected the problem. Seems the carbon had built up on the valve and started causing the valve to stick open. Idles fine now.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

For a TBI just put about 4 oz. of ATF in a small, fairly flat dish, and suck it in the engine through the PCV Valve on the valve cover.

90K5

15. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

And this is safe to do with a TBI? I really want to do this to add some life to my engine. All I have to do is feed thru a shallow plate thru the PCV and keep a steady throttle? Will this mess up any sensors or anything?

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

16. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

oldtimers used to put ground up walnut shell down the carb to break up real heavy carbon build up they claimed nothing worked better and it would not hurt anything I don't think I want to try it....
    Mrivan....
    Maybe they were Ford people........